• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center will reopen starting Wednesday, January 6, 2021 as per Governor Wolf's reopening mandate.

SWCC SWCC pendulum & Bob

sparkplug85

Apr 17, 2010
SWCC Western Union Oak cased clock about 21" square Type F Mvnt. Are Pends and Bobs available for this clock. Or can you give the measurements for the pend and the size and weight of the bob. Thanks sparkplug 85

eskmill

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Aug 24, 2000
Region
Given your SWCC case measurement, the movement was originally a 120 beat with a sixty tooth escape wheel.

Many of the wood cased clocks had wood-stick-brass covered zinc bobs. Used ones are available. Does your case have a brass beat plate? The middle of the scale is where the dart on the pendulum should extend to.

I will weigh one tomorrow and post its dimensions.

There are some clues: length of the verge crutch and tooth count of the second wheel....that belie 120 versus 140 beat movements.

If the case is really old, it may have the kind of movement code stamped into the bottom inside board ie: F L etc and the ohms of the sync coil.

Photos help.

eskmill

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Aug 24, 2000
Region
All and Sparkplug85. I have two wood-stick SWCC pendulums; a 120 beat and a 140 beat.
Both have brass covered zinc bobs 4-1/2 inch diameter and weigh 2 pounds.

The 120 beat pendulum stick has an over-all length of 12 iches measured from the curve end of the hanger to the tip of the threaded dart.

The 140 beat pendulum stick has an over-all length of 9 inches.

There are other SWCC pendulums...some with smaller and not-so-massive bobs. They all use the same suspension spring.

Tomorrow, i will photograph the two pendulums and post here.

sparkplug85

Apr 17, 2010
Much thanks for the help. Label says 120 beat. I was able to cobble together a make shift rig and was able to get the movement running. There is a plate that I guess is the beat plate. Will try and get some pics thru it has been a good while since I used the forum.