SWCC clocks - These Babies are accurate!

Discussion in 'Electric Horology' started by MikeP, Oct 15, 2002.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. MikeP

MikeP Guest

Just thought I'd post this in case anyone was wondering about the accuracy of these clocks. I recently overhauled one of mid-1920's vintage (Type F movement). In addition to normal disassembly/cleaning/lube it required 4 new bushings. I then adjusted it over about a week to US naval Observatory time. In the 5 weeks since then it has remained EXACTLY on USNO time to the second. Pretty impressive performance! It will be interesting to see what it does as winter approaches and the humidity drops dramatically indoors.

I wanted to hook up the synchro mechanism to a USNO signal so it would function as it did when the clock was actually in service. I haven't done this yet - doesn't appear to be necessary!! :)

2. MikeP

MikeP Guest

Just thought I'd post this in case anyone was wondering about the accuracy of these clocks. I recently overhauled one of mid-1920's vintage (Type F movement). In addition to normal disassembly/cleaning/lube it required 4 new bushings. I then adjusted it over about a week to US naval Observatory time. In the 5 weeks since then it has remained EXACTLY on USNO time to the second. Pretty impressive performance! It will be interesting to see what it does as winter approaches and the humidity drops dramatically indoors.

I wanted to hook up the synchro mechanism to a USNO signal so it would function as it did when the clock was actually in service. I haven't done this yet - doesn't appear to be necessary!! :)

3. eskmill

eskmill Registered User
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Aug 24, 2000
    Region Flag:
    I don't disagree that SWCC examples can maintain a pretty good long-term rate. Some were designed to keep a good rate. The primary standard 60 and 80 beat telegraph central office clocks have exceptionally good long-term rates. Many wind the mainspring at five or fifteen minute intervals in an attempt to even the force of the mainspring so as to have a better short-term rate.
    You didn't reveal in you note if your example has a wood or metal pendulum stick. Many older models have a well designed wood stick with zinc bob.

4. MikeP

MikeP Guest

It has a wood pendulum - 120 beat.