• We are aware of the performance issues with the forum. These are due to problems with Comcast's shared lines in the Columbia, PA area. On December 15, we signed a contract to bring a dedicated fiber line to the forum servers. It should take somewhere between 30 and 90 days to install. Thank you for your patience.

Suspension spring

R&A

Oct 21, 2008
Country
Or you can buy the spring steel and remake another one from what you have there.

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
A Hershede spring could probably be made to work. I would recommend that you remove the pendulum until you replace the spring.
Willie X

tlw1344

NAWCC Member
Apr 30, 2007
Central Alabama
clockworksofmontgomery.com
Country
Region
I have looked at Timesavers but no luck. The thickness of an American clock spring is very close to what I need. I have always had trouble taking enough temper out of a spring to drill a hole. I have a hole puncher but the smallest puncher is to big for what I need in making a suspension spring. Guess I do not have enough patience, the metal has to cool slowly to get the temper out to drill a hole. What is the best way to make the top part of the spring?

David S

NAWCC Member
Dec 18, 2011
Brockville, On Canada
Country
Region
Tlw I make these all the time. The top piece can be a piece of folded brass, or salvage what you have by opening it up with a razor blade. Put the suspension spring in, fold it back and drive a needle through it, or other sharp object. It is only 0.006" thick. For the larger holes I just use a diamond burr in a rotary tool and press it through.

I salvaged an old broken tape measure and the return spring was 0.006" thick and works great. You can also purchase sheets of various thickness suspension spring material.

David

BLKBEARD

NAWCC Member
Nov 15, 2016
CT
sailorsandsettlersantiques.com
Country
Region
Gee, Thanks David!!

I just finally threw out a messed up Stanley 25' tape measure about 3 days ago. "Why am I keeping this, I have 4 or 5 others that work correctly?"

Now your gonna make me dig it out of the trash to salvage the spring!!

Tooo Funny....................Mike

BLKBEARD

NAWCC Member
Nov 15, 2016
CT
sailorsandsettlersantiques.com
Country
Region
Well........... I took apart the tape measure to salvage the spring. But I found the spring had somehow jumped loose & had no tension. Was probably dropped one time too many. I was able to reset the spring, so while I didn't gain any salvage spring steel, I did gain another functioning tape measure.

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
You can punch any size hole with a short piece of drill rod and a lead block. Hold the short (1" to 1 1/2") punch against the the stock and lead block with pliers, one sharp wack with an 8 ounce hammer will do it.
For very small holes, use a prick punch and tap lightly untill a dimple is made, stone off the dimple side and continue until the hole is the correct size.
No anealing is necessary. If the metal is shattering or tearing, your stock is to brittle, switch to something else.
Your old spring is probably nowhere near as hard as you may think. If it were it would have been broken many times!
Travel-alarm mainsprings and some grades of shim stock can make good suspension springs
Good luck, Willie X

David S

NAWCC Member
Dec 18, 2011
Brockville, On Canada
Country
Region
Blkbeard I hope at least you measured the thickness in case you get in a jamb and can sacrifice one tape measure.

David

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
David, you have better eyes than I do if you can measure thickness with a tape measure:whistle:

David S

NAWCC Member
Dec 18, 2011
Brockville, On Canada
Country
Region
Glad it worked out. Making replacement suspension springs isn't all that hard and saves having to stock different types.

David

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewFeldwick
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller