Suspension Spring For Kundo

Tony10Clocks

Aug 10, 2010
Northant's
Country
Just making sure about the size of the suspension spring for this Kundo. I'm thinking 0.0023".
A friend wants me to have a look at it because she say's it's not working. Looks as if the pendulum is too high. ( Above the holder ). So it will probably need a new spring. I havn't got the clock so i couldn't take off the guard, By the way does the guard look original

Attachments

etmb61

NAWCC Member
Oct 25, 2010
Mascoutah, IL
Country
Region
Hi Tony

I'm thinking that would be plate 1407H. It takes a 0.0022" spring, unit 5F (very short). From the picture it looks like everyting is in order with the pendulum. The locking lever fits into the groove just above the regulating disc on the pendulum. The book also says the anchor pin makes contact with the fork behind the back plate.

Please post a couple more pictures when you have it.

Eric

Tinker Dwight

Oct 11, 2010
Calif. USA
It is possible that the spring isn't broke, just pulled out of one of the blocks.
I'd remove the spring guard and take a look first.
There should be clearance for the bob to swing free.
I'm assuming it is a midget and not a mini.
Tinker Dwight

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
If it broke, you'll be able to see the broken piece still in the block :)

petevig

Jun 7, 2014
Reston, VA
Country
Region
Tony10,
I too have one with the same plate, but a square case. It has the same guard, so yours is likely the original. When replacing the suspension spring (mine was like a candy cane from the previous owner), Chris Nimon at Horolovar recommended a 0.0023 and it worked out quite well. It is within a minute in nearly two months now after adjustment and settling. The correct length for mine is 5E from the repair guide. The guide also states that the units using 5E should have upright anchor pins and for best rotation be as near as possible to the back plate (which yours appears to be). The pendulum uses a straight pin through a hole in the bottom block and is held in place by the cup-type washer and spring, where the pin rides against the top of the through hole and fits lengthwise across the inside of the washer edges.

Aggs,
You may need to go to a thinner spring. Thicker is faster, Thinner is slower. Again, Chris Nimon was a great help. You will need to tell him your spring size (thickness) and the time gained over a fixed period of say 24 hours. You may also need to adjust the fork in the event that it is sitting too far down on the anchor pin, it could be prone to "flutter" from time to time which causes the minute hand to rotate several minutes ahead, giving the appearance of running fast.
Kundo 400_01.JPG IMG_3362.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ravens Watch
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller