Suspension spring bend Seth Thomas 89 AD

circa1976

New User
Aug 14, 2022
Country
I am new to clock repair and my first project is a Seth Thomas 89 AD from about 1920? The clock would not stay running for more than 100 seconds when I got it so I decided that a good first step was cleaning. (There were literally bugs in the movement when I got it.) Anyway, I am now about to reassemble and am curious about this suspension spring.

All of the pictures I have seen are of straight springs. But mine looks as though it was deliberately bent. When the bob is not attached, it hangs to the left (opposite side of the crutch). Is this intentional, or should I replace it with a straight spring?

Suspension spring 1.jpg Suspension spring 2.jpg Suspension spring 3.jpg

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
Probably not "deliberately" bent but bent just the same. :( Usually they can be straightened and reused.

The best way to straighten a suspension spring is to draw it through your round nose pliers. The action is similar to curling a ribbon by drawing it over scissors. Use firm pressure and you can curl it left or right by changing the angle of your pliers, or flipping the spring over, stop when it's straight.

Note, be careful not to damage the dimple at the upper end and if straightening doesn't work out, this 'suspension rod' can be replaced as a new part. It's best to keep the old one if possible.

Willie X

Reactions: circa1976

circa1976

New User
Aug 14, 2022
Country
Thanks, Willie! After straightening the suspension spring the clock was still not in beat. Turns out the crutch was bent as well. Now that I straightened it out a bit, everything is working much better. (Also discovered that NAWCC has YouTube videos.)

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Yeah, you can link to them here. We support mp4, but not everyone can see them. Youtube is the best option right now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GallDG
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Watch Inspectors by Kent