• Upcoming updates
    Over the next couple of weeks we will be performing software updates on the forum. These will be completed in small steps as we upgrade individual software addons. You might occasionally see a maintenance message that will last a few minutes at most.

If we anticipate an update will take more than a few minutes, we'll put up a notice with estimated time.

Thank you!

Suspension for a SSS German Schmid mantle clock

boblalux

Nov 13, 2013
Friesland, Germany
Country
I have tried to recut/refile an oversize suspension with more or less success, but would prefer to find a replacement. I attach a foto of the specifications ...... Can anyone help, please?

Spring_SCHMIDT.jpg

wow

NAWCC Member
Jun 24, 2008
Pineville, La. (central La.)
Country
Region
Something like this should work fine. Just grind off the corner. Unless…. You are trying to match the original exactly. I have never seen that exact style suspension spring. Looks like it would wobble.

Reactions: boblalux

boblalux

Nov 13, 2013
Friesland, Germany
Country
Something like this should work fine. Just grind off the corner. Unless…. You are trying to match the original exactly. I have never seen that exact style suspension spring. Looks like it would wobble.
Thanks, will purchase

Nico

New User
Jan 25, 2022
Country
I forgot to mention, its for a Schmid SSS mantel clock. The company went broke in the 60s.
What suspensing spring did you use to repair the clock as I have the same model, also with a broken spring ?
I wasn't able to find the same suspension spring as the original one with the white plastic plates.

boblalux

Nov 13, 2013
Friesland, Germany
Country
What suspensing spring did you use to repair the clock as I have the same model, also with a broken spring ?
I wasn't able to find the same suspension spring as the original one with the white plastic plates.
Nico, I think I used a #35 Kienzle suspension spring which I filed/sanded down to size
Cheers, Bob

Nico

New User
Jan 25, 2022
Country
I have ordered a few of these and give it a try. I hope at least one of them will be usable in the end as I have no experience with filing/grinding these small springs.
Thanks, Nico

boblalux

Nov 13, 2013
Friesland, Germany
Country
I have ordered a few of these and give it a try. I hope at least one of them will be usable in the end as I have no experience with filing/grinding these small springs.
Thanks, Nico
Nico, its no great deal to file an oversized spring. I attach a pici of a spring with the grinding/drilling you must carry out, in red. Choose a spring with 2 springs (most on the market are doubl springs), then you can just file away one of them, as in the diagramm attached. In the 2 holes, insert 2 brass cross pins.
s-l1600.jpg
Unfortunately I have so man projects going at present, that I have no more time to make one for you, but do try it yourself.
Cheers, Bob
s-l1600.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IndyF1
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Swiss Fake by Kent