Help Surrer clock what weight?

shadred

Mar 17, 2021
Country
Hello, help me figure out the weights of the weights. Starts running smoothly at 2.250gk weights. The wheels spin freely at a weight of 1.250 kg.
The springs are braking, but if I loosen them, the gongs are faintly audible. But it works from 1,500kg.
Does it really have to be this weight?
Chain diameter - 1.6мм
Size movement - 18cm hight, 16,5cm width, 13,7cm depth.
the wheels are thick, cleaned and lubricated.

9hRsdYJRy17iXCV5cosYNh4HSKAytLZattsMaIsMI6cNoQcLMZmTaM_S8AxE3Dc3THqgvS72b0x2NrlgCir-khVP.jpg cllBpxxaJ8loZwiYtn5s8WW7dWJGgO7dFZ-fHBAZTs8po0sCvuxE0G4BzgE8fdb1H8sKYLAZ4_klxqUjv6yHX9K9.jpg OJIL0wgxXsYp8ynPD78t0ZHkOK7KxP4vpE3e7UuA13D0DTM-mxW24MDmogHRSCNfNhLJtpfgQAtpb9bNi765QaNc.jpg

Uhralt

NAWCC Member
Sep 4, 2008
Country
Region
I think the 2.25 kg weight is clearly excessive. I have a clock with a similar movement for the going train (it is not a Surrer) and it runs well on 900g. According to Schwab the weights of one-day Black Forest clocks were usually in the range between 500 and 1000g. I think that something is likely to be wrong with the going train. I have often seen severe wear on pivots and bushings, so that is something I would check first.
People often replaced weights with heavier ones if the clock stopped working (due to wear) and oiling alone didn't help. The heavier weight made them run for some time longer, but also causes additional wear. The only solution is to take the movement apart any remove any obvious wear.

Uhralt

shadred

Mar 17, 2021
Country
I think the 2.25 kg weight is clearly excessive. I have a clock with a similar movement for the going train (it is not a Surrer) and it runs well on 900g. According to Schwab the weights of one-day Black Forest clocks were usually in the range between 500 and 1000g. I think that something is likely to be wrong with the going train. I have often seen severe wear on pivots and bushings, so that is something I would check first.
People often replaced weights with heavier ones if the clock stopped working (due to wear) and oiling alone didn't help. The heavier weight made them run for some time longer, but also causes additional wear. The only solution is to take the movement apart any remove any obvious wear.

Uhralt
Wear and tear and undercarriage in good order, The mechanism does not need any wear and tear. So far, I think it's the hammer springs.
Sorry my bed English/

Uhralt

NAWCC Member
Sep 4, 2008
Country
Region
One more thought: Is your clock directly hung to the wall or sitting on a wooden or metal support bracket? Movements of clocks hung directly tend to flex downwards under the pull of the weights (especially when they are heavy), causing friction between pivots and bushings. Sometimes the remedy is to get or make a support for the movement.

Uhralt

Uhralt

NAWCC Member
Sep 4, 2008
Country
Region
Wear and tear and undercarriage in good order, The mechanism does not need any wear and tear. So far, I think it's the hammer springs.
Sorry my bed English/
The hammer springs could only cause a problem for the strike train of the clock, but not for the time train.

Uhralt

shadred

Mar 17, 2021
Country
The hammer springs could only cause a problem for the strike train of the clock, but not for the time train.
You are right, I relaxed the springs of the hammers a little, but increased the swing + bending the lifting levers.
Now the surrer side, powered by a 1,600 gram kettlebell. If I significantly relax the springs of the hammers, then from 1.300. But they are hard to hear, because the gongs on this clock are very large. Also, in my clock, the wheels are more bulky than others, which i had.
the surrer side itself starts working from a 767gram kettlebell without hammers. I think it's problem the hammers, because the weight of 1.300grams is not enough to lift the their. Like I said. If relax them, they will work from a weight of 1.300grams, but this force will not be enough for such large gongs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
richarddhart
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-