Surgeries

Discussion in 'Member News and Views' started by FDelGreco, Nov 18, 2010.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. FDelGreco

FDelGreco Registered User
    NAWCC Star Fellow Sponsor NAWCC Diamond Member

Aug 28, 2000
    Male
    Retired chemical engineer
    Novelty, OH
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Since all of us old folks like to talk about our surgeries, I thought I’d start a thread about them so perhaps we can trade tips about recuperating.

On December 9 I’m going to have arthroscopic surgery on my right shoulder for an inflamed bicep tendon, rotator cuff problem, and a calcium deposit or two. It will be outpatient surgery with follow-up physical therapy. My right arm will be in a sling for a few weeks. As I am right-handed and all of my cars are stick shift, recuperating will be a problem. I’ve already tried to practice getting ready in the morning and doing other things one-handed, but it’s been really tough. I haven’t yet tried to reassemble a clock movement one-handed. :( Anyone got any tips on living one-handed for a few weeks?

Best regards,
    Frank Del Greco

2. dweiss17

dweiss17 Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Retired from Graphic Arts
    Philadelphia, PA
    Country Flag:
    Frank:

Advice from a soon to be a 95er in years.

Just be happy you came through the surgery fine. Do not deplore the state that you will/may need help.

Spend a few bucks...hire help to ease the weeks you'll be discomboobled.

Keep active with the help of others. It's a short recuperation. And, above all be well. You got a lot of living to do.

Dan

3. Richard T.

Richard T. Deceased
    Deceased

Apr 7, 2005
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Good luck on your surgery. As you may know, very important to do what the therapy folks say.

I had this done on 9 8 08 and on the other side on 1 14 09. I am really glad that I did:)I did extremely well for an old guy and only had 7 sessions of therapy on the first knee and about the same on the second.

Best,

Richard T. 76644.jpg

4. dweiss17

dweiss17 Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Retired from Graphic Arts
    Philadelphia, PA
    Country Flag:
    Richard:

Could you tell us how old you were at the time of the surgeries and how long you were in therapy before you were able to walk on your own.

Did you have any steps walk up to to reach your abode?

I see my doctor on the 30th of this month and at my age 95, he may or may not give me the go ahead to have it done.

Thanks,

Dan

5. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I was quite young at the time and my surgery was minor compared to what i have seen here.I had a carpal tunnel release done on my left wrist.I was using my left hand hours after the operation.I did not take many pain killers after.
    Now days modern surgery is really something else and better recovery times.

6. Richard T.

Richard T. Deceased
    Deceased

Apr 7, 2005
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hello Dan,

I was 69. I came home from the hospital after 3 days and was able to walk with a cane then. I didn't use the cane but a couple of days and was driving (right knee) 3 weeks after the surgery.

Three steps and they were a little difficult. Therapy was started in the hospital the day after surgery to include walking up and down 3 steps. My surgeon told me that I had done better than any of his other patients.

Of course age is a factor.......my mother is 94 and has bad knees but we can't do anything about it.

Best,

Richard T.

7. Frank Menez

Frank Menez Registered User
    Deceased

Jul 11, 2003
    USAF Retired
    Somersworth NH
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    One month ago I had Arthrosopic surgery on my left shoulder like Frank DelGreco. I had a spur and they apparently shave it and clean out the shoulder area. I left the hospital a few hours after the suergery with my arm in a sling. After a few hours at home I took of the sling and went about my business with little pain. Two days later I was able to drive. They gave me some Perkeset for the pain which I did not take due to the fact that it binds you up and has other side effects. I took a few tylenol and that helped with the very minor pain I had. Went to Physical Therapy for ten sessions. I might add that I had PT prior to surgery with the possibility that I would not need surgery. In the past I have had to two total knee replacements.