• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center will reopen starting Wednesday, January 6, 2021 as per Governor Wolf's reopening mandate.

Super heavy Pendulum on Mission Clock can't keep running

Bill S

NAWCC Member
Apr 2, 2018
Greenville, SC
Country
Region
Hello - I have this lovely old Mission Wall Clock and it had been modernized with a quartz movement. The pendulum just hung there and didn't move. I wanted to make it close to original again (childhood memory). I have bought two (new) mechanical movements and I can't get either to run. The pendulum is very heavy in my opinion. I do not know what brand this was as the case has no markings. I have tried a 10" suspension rod, an 8, and a 5-6". The shorter ones do seems to run longer on the test stand but even then only 2-3 minutes before stopping. What am I doing wrong?? Do pendulums of this weight require some other movement? I've looked through these forums and can't find anything to lead me to an answer. Looking online at pics, it's possible this was a gilbert, but that is only a wild guess. Are there original movements designed for heavier pendulums and I'm just using the wrong one? Many thanks!

UPDATE: Information found on this forum says that the unusual shape of the "8" indicates that this is a Sessions clock. That;s more than I knew before! NAWCC Forums ROCK!

IMG_0151 (1).jpg IMG_0150 (1).jpg IMG_0149 (1).jpg

Last edited:

bruce linde

Technical Admin
Staff member
NAWCC Member
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
"very heavy in my opinion" doesn't share how heavy it actually is. :)

you could determine the (approx.) pendulum length by counting gear teeth... there's a calculator somewhere on the MB.

when you say 'new' movements... do you mean new? or new used movements? did you service them?

it would help inform the discussion to see video of the escapements running... especially when they start to stall out and stop. you can take video with your mobile phone, post to youtube, and then simply copy and paste the url of the video(s) in a post here to embed the videos.

Bill S

NAWCC Member
Apr 2, 2018
Greenville, SC
Country
Region
"very heavy in my opinion" doesn't share how heavy it actually is. :)

you could determine the (approx.) pendulum length by counting gear teeth... there's a calculator somewhere on the MB.

when you say 'new' movements... do you mean new? or new used movements? did you service them?

it would help inform the discussion to see video of the escapements running... especially when they start to stall out and stop. you can take video with your mobile phone, post to youtube, and then simply copy and paste the url of the video(s) in a post here to embed the videos.
Thanks, Bruce. The movements were bought from TimeSavers new (india), based on the winding arbor spacing. I'll have to see if I can get a scale that will weigh the pendulum. The 4 1/2" brass bob is a cover for lead underneath ..so it's heavy!

I'll try to get a weight. And the pendulum length calcualtor is a great idea! Thanks.

Dick Feldman

Sep 1, 2000
Colorado, usa
Country
Region
The pendulum length calculator will have little use with a quartz movement.
The pendulums with quartz movements are controlled by a magnet affair pushing the pendulum and the length of the pendulum has nothing to do with the speed of the hands.
No quartz movements I have found will swing a heavy pendulum. Your only hope is to exchange that heavy bob with one that is hollow, thereby weighing less.

JMHO

Dick

lpbp

NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Life Member
NAWCC Member
Aug 25, 2000
Country
Region
I would try and find the right American movement for the clock, I don't like those India movements, not very good. If you can identify the manufacture, they sometimes show up on Ebay, if not any back mount with proper drop would work.

Good luck.

Dick Feldman

Sep 1, 2000
Colorado, usa
Country
Region
Sorry, I misunderstood.
I agree that the movements made in India are of very poor quality and a proper repair would be to find an original movement.
Replacing a movement in a clock with one that does not belong there is referred to as a marriage.
I am inclined to call that a divorce.
Best,
Dick

Reactions: Bill S

Bill S

NAWCC Member
Apr 2, 2018
Greenville, SC
Country
Region
The pendulum length calculator will have little use with a quartz movement.
The pendulums with quartz movements are controlled by a magnet affair pushing the pendulum and the length of the pendulum has nothing to do with the speed of the hands.
No quartz movements I have found will swing a heavy pendulum. Your only hope is to exchange that heavy bob with one that is hollow, thereby weighing less.

JMHO

Dick
Thanks for taking the time to respond. I may not have been clear in my post, but I have taken the quartz movement OUT of the clock and have bought 2 new brass mechanical movements. I am trying to make this an old -fashioned wind up "real" clock. That's why Bruce had mentioned the pendulum calculator. Neither of the 2 new movements will keep running for more than a few minutes. Thanks!

Bill S

NAWCC Member
Apr 2, 2018
Greenville, SC
Country
Region
I would try and find the right American movement for the clock, I don't like those India movements, not very good. If you can identify the manufacture, they sometimes show up on Ebay, if not any back mount with proper drop would work.

Good luck.
Thanks, Larry! I believe (from research and other past posts here) that it is a Sessions. I will try and find a sessions movement and give that a go. Thanks.

Bill S

NAWCC Member
Apr 2, 2018
Greenville, SC
Country
Region
Sorry, I misunderstood.
I agree that the movements made in India are of very poor quality and a proper repair would be to find an original movement.
Replacing a movement in a clock with one that does not belong there is referred to as a marriage.
I am inclined to call that a divorce.
Best,
Dick
That's a brilliant line! Thanks for the chuckle. I've been learning clock repair for my own enjoyment for about 5 years now. The advice I have found here has been invaluable and the online NAWCC videos are super. The Conover books and other resources too. So, it's really been a great hobby. And thus far, the clocks I've come accross all have had their original works. So this was the first time to un-do a tragic mistake someone made by adding a battery movemnt to a grand old clock. "Ancora Imparo" (and yet, I am learning) is very important here....I think the lesson is "Don't buy a cheap modern movement!" Thanks. I can't tell you how good it is to have this resource of posts and people who care and are willing to share.

wow

NAWCC Member
Jun 24, 2008
Pineville, La. (central La.)
Country
Region
Bill, I have one like it in my shop with the original movement. If you would like, I’ll post photos.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
The clock is a Mission Clock. That may help in your search for a proper movement.
EDIT: Ooops. I should read the titles better :)

Reactions: Bill S

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
The suspension spring itself can vary quite a bit in length and still do it's job. What's important is the length of the whole unit, and will have to be adjusted to your particular clock. However, knowing what's working in Will's clock will give you a good starting point. I would start long and shorten it if needed for good time keeping.

Bill S

NAWCC Member
Apr 2, 2018
Greenville, SC
Country
Region
The suspension spring itself can vary quite a bit in length and still do it's job. What's important is the length of the whole unit, and will have to be adjusted to your particular clock. However, knowing what's working in Will's clock will give you a good starting point. I would start long and shorten it if needed for good time keeping.
Excellent advice! Thanks so much!

Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dennis waske
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions