Help Super Glued clock hand

Tim S

NAWCC Member
Oct 28, 2019
Country
Hello, I recently picked up this wall clock at an estate sale (was told it was a Howard Miller). The minute hand is almost 5 minutes off when the chime goes off. I attempted to remove the hands and adjust it, but it looks like someone super glued the bushing and I'm afraid to break the hand if I force it. Cannot find any replacement hands like it in clockworks or timesavers. The minute hand is 4 inches long fro mirror1.jpg mirror2.jpg
m the mounting hole, appear to be white aluminum. Has anyone seen any like these anywhere I could order from ?

Tim S

NAWCC Member
Oct 28, 2019
Country
Perhaps I didn't say it right. I can get the hand off, but the bushing has been glued to the hand, and so cannot move the hand without the hand separating from the bushing

Tim S

NAWCC Member
Oct 28, 2019
Country
Perhaps I didn't say it right. I can get the hand off, but the bushing has been glued to the hand, and so cannot move the hand without the hand separating from the bushing

Royce

NAWCC Member
Oct 8, 2018
Houston
Country
Region
If I understand that the bushing is super glued to the hand so you subsequently cannot turn the bushing to correct the 5 minute issue; then I recommend that you try using acetone to break the superglue bond between the bushing and the hand. Then correct the 5 minute issue and mechanically secure the bushing to the hand by peening the bushing.

Royce

Reactions: Dave T

svenedin

NAWCC Member
Jan 28, 2010
Surrey
Country
Region
Do you mean you can’t get the nut off that is holding the hand on? Edit: I didn’t read your clarification. I see you can get the hand off.

Tim Orr

National Membership Chair
Director
NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Sep 27, 2008
Boulder CO
Country
Region
Good afternoon, Tim!

If you use acetone, you may find you'll need to repaint the hand.

Best regards!

The other Tim

Uhralt

NAWCC Member
Sep 4, 2008
Country
Region
If you want to avoid acetone, you can use heat to break the bond. Create a heat trap to protect the paint of the minute hand, for example by winding a cord around the areas of the hand close to the bushing hand and wet it with water. Then take a hot soldering iron and touch the bushing with the tip of the soldering iron until you smell the super glue decomposing. It is quite an acrid smell. The heat will also help breaking any mechanical bond that may hold the bushing tight.

Good luck!

Uhralt

roughbarked

Dec 2, 2016
Western NSW or just this side of the black stump.
Country
Region
For metal: Try acetone [jump mark to “How to remove super glue stains from your work area”], commonly found in nail polish remover. If that does not work, give your metal project a 30 minutes soak in a 2:1 mix of water and white vinegar. Now try to remove the residue with a rough cloth or fine sandpaper.
For wood: Try the nail polish remover trick again. Alternately, use coconut oil or olive oil. Once the glued area has detached, scrub the entire affected area with fine sandpaper.
For plastic: Lay a damp cloth over the glued area and secure it tightly. Alternately, soak the glue in vegetable oil or diluted vinegar. Let it sit for a few hours to allow the glue to moisten. Blot the glue with acetone or rubbing alcohol and let this substance break down the glue. Clear away with a damp cloth.
For fabric: Use acetone, but test sparingly first to avoid potential damage. Once the adhesive bond has begun to break, apply a pretreatment stain remover deep into the glue. Let it sit, then wash the fabric item at a warm temperature.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kevsun
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Weekly News 7/7/19 by Tom McIntyre