Stuttering Awareness Week

Discussion in 'Member News and Views' started by dweiss17, May 4, 2013.

  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. dweiss17

    dweiss17 Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

    Aug 1, 2006
    2,461
    40
    48
    Retired from Graphic Arts
    Philadelphia, PA
    Country Flag:
    This second week of each May celebrates “Stuttering Awareness Week” signed into law by President Reagan in 1988, It passed Congress unanaminously. I proposed it in “Speaking Out” a monthly Newsletter; I created for the Philadelphia Chapter of the National Stuttering Project in 1986.

    Two Chapter members from Delaware approached the then Senator Roth of Delaware, using his political influence, it was pushed through both Houses and signed and became law. Some countries overseas adopted the thought and it is celebrated every October 22[SUP]nd[/SUP].

    Many people do not know this fact, worldwide, one in 100 people have some kind of oral handicap, it invades every part of the human life from schooling, friendship, working place, dating the opposite sex, marriage and even to having children, to earning a living. And, further banishment and harassment in a dysfunctional family. A life of everyday communication with your fellow person from the person who stutters creates problems that even have recorded suicides among younger folk afflicted with this worldwide problem.

    Fully 80 percent have a tendency to grow out of this oral deficiency while the other 20 percent are often left to face a life full of torturous and various handicaps due to their ability to speak in a non-fluent manner.

    BTW: I have the copies of all the signed documents and Declaration of Stuttering Awareness Week by President Reagan. The original signed papers and the pen used in its singing are now in the New York Office and the name changed to the National Stuttering Association.

    Two young men, persons who stuttered, started the project in 1977 in San Francisco; with $10,000 seed money donated by a prominent realtor of that city.
     

Share This Page