$ Stupid Question about Vibrograf B200

Discussion in 'Horological Tools' started by PWR_family, Aug 14, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. PWR_family

PWR_family Registered User

Jun 5, 2016
    Male
    Retired
    West Chester, PA
    Country Flag:
    I inherited a B200 from my Dad who used it for years in his watch repair business. I thought it worked on an impact type pressure sensitive paper all those years...but upon inspection, I see what appears to be a typewriter looking black ribbon. The ribbon does not seem to easily come out and I don't even see the darn ribbon in the on line manuals I've located.

So....does this machine typically have a ribbon and if so, any tricks to removing it and any good sources for a replacement?

Thanks all,

Steve G

IMG_6622.JPG

2. Chris Radek

Chris Radek Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 13, 2014
    Male
    Watchmaker (now accepting new customers)
    Lincoln, NE, USA
    Country Flag:
    I have a B200A (in the basement somewhere) and I think the A means it will additionally read Accutrons. Other than that, it looks identical to yours. It does not have a ribbon. It uses the special pressure sensitive paper.

The B100 (and others like the Tickoprint) used a typewriter ribbon. Yours might be a retrofit, made because the special paper is expensive and hard to find, and when it's years old, it doesn't work well anymore.

3. PWR_family

Jun 5, 2016
    Male
    Retired
    West Chester, PA
    Country Flag:
    weird I did buy new paper and nada.....but the ribbon is clearly there!!! OK I got it out -- retained by two cir-clips....a 2" typrewriter type ribbon...

4. Dushan Grujich

Dushan Grujich Registered User

Jun 20, 2003
    Male
    Watchmaker
    Bondi
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    G'Day!

Yes, the B200 timing machine was designed to operate with ink ribbon. BTW, that is the way I use my machine. However, it can be loaded with impact impact sensitive paper and used without ink ribbon.

If You want a user manual, I am attaching a complete scanned manual in English.

Cheers, Dushan

Attached Files:

5. PWR_family

Jun 5, 2016
    Male
    Retired
    West Chester, PA
    Country Flag:
    Great, thank you so much

6. Dr. Jon

Dr. Jon Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Dec 14, 2001
    Aerospace Engineer
    New Hampshire
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I had a similar one for a long time. I used to re-ink the ribbon with a stamp pad re inking bottle. It has a pad on the tip and you rub it on the ribbon when rolled. I used to get them at Staples.