American PW Stupid Question about mainsprings

Discussion in 'Watch Repair' started by wilsonpaule, May 19, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. wilsonpaule

wilsonpaule Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Hudson, Quebec
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Okay, this may seem nit picky , but I have a question about the rings that mainsprings are stored in. Specifically, the white alloy springs. They all are silver colour on one side, but on the other side they can be silver, yellow, red, blue...any reason for this? Does it go to strength? I ask because i have a few Elgin 817s in white alloy, but I am not sure which strengths they are. I imagine the only way of checking the thickness is to remove them from the rings, then I am stuck with a bunch of uncoiled mainsprings! If I could define their strength based on the colour of the ring, it would be easier.

2. Skutt50

Skutt50 Registered User

Mar 14, 2008
    Gothenburg
    Country Flag:
    I have learned that the colored side should be towards you when you install the mainspring......
    It will be interesting to hear if there is a strength thing to consider as well.

3. Al J

Al J Registered User

Jul 21, 2009
    In my experience the colour has nothing to do with the strength of the mainspring - it's more related to the brand of spring (Nivarox tends to be light blue, Generale Ressorts is dark blue, Schwab-Feller is red, etc.). Also, the side that the colour is on is not really related to the direction the mainspring goes in the barrel on the watches I work on - I have bought mainspring for a specific movement that the coloured side is random - buying the same springs from the same supplier for the same movement, sometimes it's up and sometimes down. I've also seen springs with colour on both sides of the ring.

Cheers, Al