STUNNING Exhibition clock, made in 1860 by Johann Beha

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by ANTIQUECUCKOOCLOCK.ORG, Jul 20, 2014.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. ANTIQUECUCKOOCLOCK.ORG

ANTIQUECUCKOOCLOCK.ORG Registered User

Dec 28, 2011
    COLLECTOR, RESTORER, PRESERVER, TRADER.
    A clock from my collection. A magnificent carved Baroque wall cuckoo clock made in 1860 by Johann Baptiste Beha for an exhibition in Toomey England. The only documented surviving clock from Behas group at the exhibition. This clock has a massive 8 day double fusee wood plated movement.

0001.jpg 1.jpg 02.jpg 2.jpg 4.jpg 7.jpg 11.jpg 13.jpg 19.jpg 20.jpg 17509_10151580347669550_703009525_n.jpg

Attached Files:

• 3.jpg
      File size:
      197.7 KB
      Views:
  2. Jeremy Woodoff

Jeremy Woodoff Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 30, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Just beautiful!

3. ANTIQUECUCKOOCLOCK.ORG

Dec 28, 2011
    Thanks for the kind word Jeremy. Nice to know all the efforts are not TOTALLY ignored. :)

4. JohnFromRoyalOak

JohnFromRoyalOak Registered User

Oct 26, 2013
    Retired Musician
    Royal Oak, Mi.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    WOW! VERY nice!!

5. Albra

Albra Registered User

Oct 17, 2006
    Jeff, this is undoubtedly an exceptional clock, which has been specially made for this exhibition, but not in series. Also the design is exceptional - I have not seen such a case.

Jeff, how do you know that the clock was on of the exhibition? What evidence is there?

albra

6. nicksey

nicksey Registered User

Nov 12, 2009
    Cheshire, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The last picture is from the 1862 International Exhibition in Kensington, London. Is this the exhibition your clock was shown at? I'm not sure what Toomey is. As far as I know there isn't a place in England of this name.

7. ANTIQUECUCKOOCLOCK.ORG

Dec 28, 2011
    Thank you everybody. Special thanks Albra, you are correct
    This clock is not a series clock. To date it is the only one like it to be found. I see I made a typo (above) for TOOMEY, its was the "TOMEY" exhibition in London. 1861.
    I have no idea what TOMEY represents. We know the exhibition took place and that Beha made a showing there.
    The show was in 1861. I know the photo is not the TOMEY exhibition, i just included it to show what it might have been like at one of these exhibitions. :)
    Also the clock is scripted supporting this, as being shown there in London.. Also, (ALBRA) Herr Schneider has confirmed to me that it was a very special clock made for the showing in London. A very special clock to me too.. :)

16.jpg

8. nicksey

nicksey Registered User

Nov 12, 2009
    Cheshire, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks for the typo correction. I still think that there it is possible that the exhibition is The International Exhibition of 1862 in London, as follows

• The name Tomey does not seem to have any obvious connection to any exhibition in London in 1861
    • There does not appear to have been any relevant exhibition recorded as being held in London in this year that Beha would want to exhibit at
    • The 1862 exhibition began in May. It would be likely that any clocks being prepared for this were manufactured during the previous year
    • The writing on the back could be the year it was made and to identify this as a clock for this exhibition and Tomey could be anything or anyone including a shipping agent or local representative or an employee.
    • Johann Beha did exhibit four clocks at the International Exhibition of 1862. The attached is the part of the 1862 exhibition catalogue that lists these 4 clocks. Could yours be one of these?

Beha1862.jpg

9. ANTIQUECUCKOOCLOCK.ORG

Dec 28, 2011
    #9 ANTIQUECUCKOOCLOCK.ORG, Oct 15, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2014
    Again, I have no idea the relevance of the name TOMEY. I suppose this could be one possible theory you have, my first STOP is the name.
    J.A.Beha.. We are talking about Johann Baptist Beha,... for the exhibition, in LONDON, 1861, It is very possible that the record of it has not survived, or more likely yet, has not been adopted for reference by google, or on the net.
    My obvious problem is that its scripted and dated in ENGLISH, Not German. Had it been scripted for use in an upcoming exhibit while still in Germany, it would be scripted in German.
    We know from the very accurate firm records many things, and as a sum its seen that Beha (JBB) was very interested, and played a big role in retail outlets for his clocks in England. Attending MANY exhibitions big and small. Also we know that in most cases when the exhibition was over he usually gave away or sold the pieces he brought to patrons or exhibit organizers. Thus avoiding cumbersome transport back to Germany.

10. Albra

Albra Registered User

Oct 17, 2006
    Jeff, Nicksey, that's all very interesting!

And Nicksey, thank you for the ad on the participation of Beha at the 1862 exhibition. The clock of Jeff could actually have participated at this exhibition. Although the final proof is lacking, so I have no problem with the assumption it did, because the clock of Jeff is truly exceptional and might correspond in its price to the clocks listed in the ad.

And speaking of prices:

Please note, the clocks of the ad are very very expensive: A Simple Black Forest clock in 1860 only cost about 3 fl, while the clocks of the exhibition cost from 36 up to 90 fl!

Jeff, thanks for sharing your clock!

albra

11. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    The exhibition that was to have taken place in 1861 was postponed until 1862 for various reasons, including the death of Prince Albert. So, nicksey is correct. There were Tomey's connected with the glass ware industrial, e.g., Enoch Tomey in Perth, and Joseph Tomey & Sons of Birmingham. Glass wares appear to have been exhibited at the 1862 event, so perhaps the Tomeys exhibited their wares. But why the Tomey name is on the clock with the wrong (earlier) year is a matter of conjecture that I will leave to others to search out.

12. ballistarius

ballistarius Registered User

Oct 26, 2009
    Male
    Architect
    Bilbao, Basque Country
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    A fantastic clock, Jeff:D I'm stunned by the quality of the bone hands and numerals!

Aitor

13. ANTIQUECUCKOOCLOCK.ORG

Dec 28, 2011
    #13 ANTIQUECUCKOOCLOCK.ORG, Oct 15, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2014
    Very Welcome Albra,
    And thanks to all for the kind words.

ok, So add it all up. And i get that:

The clock was made 1861,
    Shown at the London Exhibition, 1862, and after the exhibit, it was given or sold to Mr Tomey.

Tomey Exhibition 1861 London.

14. Albra

Albra Registered User

Oct 17, 2006
    #14 Albra, Oct 16, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2017
    I have to add, the prices in the exhibition ad mean the prices for England. The price for a common BF clock was in Germany about 3 fl, but in England the price was higher. But I don't know how much it was.

Nicksey, do you know?

albra