Stuff I find in boxes rusting away in my shed.

Rick Hufnagel

Just Rick!
NAWCC Member
Oct 25, 2018
Pittsburgh pa
Country
Region
Do you think I could fit those to my 18s Elgin carry watch:???: Haha.

I'll bet you a dollar I still can't get the cage to close properly without an obscene amount of frustration.

On a serious note those are pretty neat, can you take a shot of the opposite side??

PatH

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Dec 5, 2014
Texas
Country
Region
Great historical stuff, and I'm sure there are collectors that would love to have it. No chucking yet. :)

roughbarked

Dec 2, 2016
Western NSW or just this side of the black stump.
Country
Region
Well doesn’t that beat all? I have an old friend who is a plasterer and he dropped in to see me today. I happened to have tipped out a pile of watches from various boxes of watches that nobody had ever picked up.
He was idly scanning them and as many still had their tickets attached, he picked one up and he said, "I bet I know who owns this watch" and turned the ticket over, saw the address and said, “Yes that’s my old missus. Had three kids with her”.
I looked and said but you never married?
"Nope".
I said "it is probably your watch then"?
He said "Blowed if I know, that was ages ago".
I said, anything written on the back? Because we engraved every watch we sold for free.
He said, “well I’ll be! It is engraved to Vic with love Dianne, 1976”.
To which I replied well if you want it back, go and tell her she owes me $27.50 from 1982 when she told me to go ahead and fix it.
I gave it a couple of winds and away it went. Has kept accurate time for the past 4 hours since. I'm sure I'll have to service it again though.
Citizen automatic.

P3169244.JPG P3169245.JPG

roughbarked

Dec 2, 2016
Country
Region
Rummaging around in old boxes can somethines be rewarding? Apart from the two old gold Rolexes posted here, there was also this Urania Pocket watch. Probably worth fixing if I can investigate what is broken in there. Definitely needs a B/S.

There was also a Seiko 5606 Lord-Matic. I still haven't got to the bottom of the box yet.

P6254942.JPG P6254943.JPG P6254944.JPG P6254945.JPG P6254947.JPG P6254948.JPG P6254949.JPG

Reactions: MrRoundel and PatH

Schatznut

NAWCC Member
Sep 26, 2020
SoCal
Country
Region
Dang, you have better junk boxes than I do. All I ever seem to find is old Corvair parts and mouse poop.

roughbarked

Dec 2, 2016
Country
Region
Dang, you have better junk boxes than I do. All I ever seem to find is old Corvair parts and mouse poop.
:)
I also found a 9ct Rolex Tudor among other quite serviceable watches. Maybe I should list it all so that when it comes to the point of me being deceased, the kids can know what is worth keeping and what is not?
In relation to the Urania PW above. I'll need to ask how he worked it out but Kev had written on the ticket "case about 1880" on the ticket. 800 is German or Swiss silver I'd reckon.

P6254967.JPG

Last edited:

roughbarked

Dec 2, 2016
Country
Region
Then there was this.

Thomas Gaunt & Co. (Melbourne, Australia), late 19th century manufacturer and retailer of jewellery, clocks, watches and decorative items

Thomas Gaunt (1829-1890) was born in London and arrived in Melbourne as a trained clockmaker and optician about 1856. He opened a business at the top of Bourke Street and as well as making and retailing clocks and watches, sold clocks, jewellery and silver.

In about 1870 he moved his business to a corner shop in the Royal Arcade.

He was the official timekeeper for the Victorian Racing Club and occupied the judge's box, although he had no interest in horseracing. He donated a chronometer to the VRC which displayed the time of a race to an accuracy of .25 of a second. Through his timing duties he was able to build up a large clientele from the racing fraternity.

He had strong religous beliefs and connection to the Catholic Church, and supplied much of the church's ecclesiastical plate. On his death it was noted that 2 of his 4 daughters were with the church as nuns.

He made many of the clocks in Melbourne's public buildings, including those for the Melbourne Post office lobby, and the Hotham and Emerald Hill town halls, the latter for which he won an award at the 1880-81 Melbourne International Exhibition. Thomas Gaunt died in 1890 and his executors continued the business after his death. In 1893 the name of the business was changed to T. Gaunt & Co.

In a supplement to "The Argus" newspaper in Melbourne in 1837 it was noted the business was still operating; the date it closed is not known.

Apparently he made a lot of instruments as well

Marion's great great grandfather...

P6264968.JPG P6264970.JPG P6264972.JPG P6264974.JPG P6264975.JPG P6264976.JPG

Last edited:

roughbarked

Dec 2, 2016
Country
Region
This watch is a runner. I'll service it and keep it in the collection which I'll label things that are worth doing something with. My daughter has done lots of conservancy work including with the Smithsonian. I'm sure that even if I'm dead, she'll be able to read the instructions.

There will be a pile of what I call junk watches outside my door for anyone who wants to pick them up in the very near future. A big pile.

zedric

NAWCC Member
Aug 8, 2012
Country
Region
Then there was this.

Thomas Gaunt & Co. (Melbourne, Australia), late 19th century manufacturer and retailer of jewellery, clocks, watches and decorative items

Thomas Gaunt (1829-1890) was born in London and arrived in Melbourne as a trained clockmaker and optician about 1856. He opened a business at the top of Bourke Street and as well as making and retailing clocks and watches, sold clocks, jewellery and silver.

In about 1870 he moved his business to a corner shop in the Royal Arcade.

He was the official timekeeper for the Victorian Racing Club and occupied the judge's box, although he had no interest in horseracing. He donated a chronometer to the VRC which displayed the time of a race to an accuracy of .25 of a second. Through his timing duties he was able to build up a large clientele from the racing fraternity.

He had strong religous beliefs and connection to the Catholic Church, and supplied much of the church's ecclesiastical plate. On his death it was noted that 2 of his 4 daughters were with the church as nuns.

He made many of the clocks in Melbourne's public buildings, including those for the Melbourne Post office lobby, and the Hotham and Emerald Hill town halls, the latter for which he won an award at the 1880-81 Melbourne International Exhibition. Thomas Gaunt died in 1890 and his executors continued the business after his death. In 1893 the name of the business was changed to T. Gaunt & Co.

In a supplement to "The Argus" newspaper in Melbourne in 1837 it was noted the business was still operating; the date it closed is not known.
For anyone interested in Gaunt or other clockmakers in Victoria, Judy Hose published the book "Clockmakers and watchmakers operating in the State of Victoria from Settlement to Federation". This has a few more details on Gaunt

Reactions: roughbarked

RL

Mar 28, 2004
Country
Wow roughbarked --you have amassed some really cool "stuff" over the years.
I'm not sure even you know what all you have at this point--lol.

roughbarked

Dec 2, 2016
Country
Region
When the shop I'd worked in closed down, after everyone else had picked the eyes out of it, I was given the remainder to take to the rubbish dump. I couldn't do that before I had a look through it all. Though what I'm going to do with things like gold stamping machines is at the moment, beyond me.

Reactions: RL

PatH

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Dec 5, 2014
Texas
Country
Region
What a chore, but it looks like you have found some watches that are definitely worth saving! Rather than tossing the cheap stuff, you might be surprised how many people would likely take it off your hands to "repurpose." No, the watches wouldn't be saved, but neither would the landfill be burdened with the remains.

Schatznut

NAWCC Member
Sep 26, 2020
SoCal
Country
Region
What a chore, but it looks like you have found some watches that are definitely worth saving! Rather than tossing the cheap stuff, you might be surprised how many people would likely take it off your hands to "repurpose." No, the watches wouldn't be saved, but neither would the landfill be burdened with the remains.
If I hear someone say "steampunk" one more time, I'm going for the jugular.

Reactions: neighmond

PatH

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Dec 5, 2014
Texas
Country
Region
My apologies. I certainly didn't intend to offend anyone.

roughbarked

Dec 2, 2016
Country
Region
Moving on. Today I emptied that big bucket of watches, seeking things that had batteries in to be removed. Along the way I found a few things that were overlooked by those whom came before me. By this I do mean that the old stock of uncollected watches had all been well picked over before I was allowed my share of the rubbish.
Here's one; 9ct Omega. With a rather sad dial side.

P8125305.JPG P8125304.JPG P8125306.JPG
Everything about all this is sad.
I was born and raised and did my apprenticeship all in the same rural town. I know or have known many of the peopele to whom these watches once belonged. So many have passed and left their belongings behind. There is no tow bar on the hearse.
Then there's this 14ct swiss cylinder. P8125319.JPG

or this Omega stopwatch P8125329.JPG P8125331.JPG P8125333.JPG

I really don't want to know what to make of this monstrosity. P8125336.JPG

Last edited:

roughbarked

Dec 2, 2016
Country
Region
Sadly many of the photos I took are of low light quality.
I see several Cyma, Civitas(Moeris) Roamer, Tissot, Omega, Rolex Tudors and many watch brands. I actually have a Cyma that is engraved on the back:
Loan watch. ie: a watch engraved on the back as: to wear while your watch is being serviced. Wait, I will show a photograph of that. ... later.
Meanwhile, here is the watch.

P8125312.JPG P8125307.JPG

PatH

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Dec 5, 2014
Texas
Country
Region
What year is this one from, and what kind of band would it have come with? Thanks for continuing to share your finds.

roughbarked

Dec 2, 2016
Country
Region
Every time I look, more stuff falls out.
I've found three accutrons and this one has what I always thought was the best band I'd ever seen. Made by Roamer, entirely flexible and strong, most comfortable to wear. Only problem was, no safety if the clip got caught on something. Once lost a Seiko bellmatic in a peach orchard for a couple of years because that very thing happened to the same roamer band I had on it.

P9155740.JPG P9155738.JPG P9155737.JPG P9155741.JPG P9155742.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: Bernhard J.

roughbarked

Dec 2, 2016
Country
Region
This FEF 350/380-2 Ranfft's images show different plates but the 380-2 is the one with the date function. This clearly has 21 jewels.
Again, an Algex. I have to take the balance out to ascertain the exact caliber and I'm not doing that today.

P9155752.JPG P9155754.JPG

I have a number of Unicorn branded watches which I believe, like Tudor, were cheaper lines from under the Rolex roof.
Found two of these pink AS 1900 movements. P9155755.JPG P9155756.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: Bernhard J.

roughbarked

Dec 2, 2016
Country
Region
I'm building up quite a collection of Oris. Each time I poke around, there always seems to be another Oris or two. I do have a soft spot for them, having serviced quite a few in my time. They were the only pin pallet watch the shop would allow for servicing. They always went well with an overhaul, providing you got away with not damaging the hairspring.

P9155757.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stems
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-