Student or Watchmaker's project watch -spinning balance

watchbob

NAWCC Member
May 8, 2009
Spencerville Ohio & Winter Haven Florida
Country
This looks to have some sort of detent escapement - looks like someones project watch
With slight pressure on the train the balance wheel spins with the second hand moving. It needs the chain fixed - can anyone explain this as I do not do chronometers! Thanks for your help, Bob
DSC08546.JPG DSC08547.JPG DSC08548.JPG

Tom McIntyre

Technical Admin
Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Ruby Member
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2000
Boston
awco.org
Country
Region
It is definitely a detent chronometer and it appears to have a spring foot but it may be pivoted. It is a little hard to see. This style of reverse fusee is normally Swiss in origin was made with a lot of names, but rarely if ever that of the actual maker.

It could be a student project. The fusee chain is detached and possibly broken. I presume you can see the action of the detent and escape wheel when you apply pressure to the center. If the escapement is functional you should take care to not damage it. That repair is expensive.

Are you asking how to fix it or where to get it fixed?

watchbob

NAWCC Member
May 8, 2009
Spencerville Ohio & Winter Haven Florida
Country
I've been careful when putting light pressure on the train & it seems to function very smoothly as it should. ( we'll see if it keeps time - I'd figure it would be very difficult to time.
I have a person to work on it that has done others detent chronometers for me - actually fixed one with bent detent etc & etc
Problem is he runs 1 - 2 years or more after he accepts it ( good that he is only middle aged !
couldn't pass it up for less than $200 even with the condition & only being a movement!

Tom McIntyre

Technical Admin
Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Ruby Member
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2000
Boston
awco.org
Country
Region
It is not the sort of thing an old person should get into, but at 83, I still buy things that need work. :)

Reactions: tick talk
Our 2021 National Meeting in Hampton Roads Virginia
Topic related ad experiment
Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Karlos290955
Encyclopedia Pages