• The online Bulletins and Mart and Highlights are currently unavailable due to a failure of a network piece of equipment. We are working to replace it and have the Online publications available as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience.

Stuck on dismantling Rivett headstock

Rick Hufnagel

Just Rick!
NAWCC Member
Oct 25, 2018
Pittsburgh pa
Country
Region
Hey everyone.

Bought a learner at the chap 37 mart on Sunday. Little rough around the edges but it's a solid piece, runs and seems to run true so far. Missing tailstock but is mounted to a box with a neat old motor that runs well. Everything definitely needs cleaned up. Probably wire brushed and painted.

Anyways, I have the headstock partially dismantled. Took the lug screw out of the back, and the set screw out of the bakelite spindle. I can't seem to get it apart.

I think the bakelite spindle (looks like a brass center) is galded to the steel, which is holding the whole assembly together. Sprayed it with some PB Blaster and let it sit. Double checked for stacked set screws... Now I want to put a block on the back and give a few good love taps.

Before I do this just wanted to ask if anyone is familiar with these lathes and maybe I'm missing something holding it all together. The last thing I want to do is wreck this after finally finding one. It's possible that this problem is common among antique lathe users. Brass and steel do not like each other after years of contact. See it in plumbing all the time.

The rear bearing started to come out as I was gently tapping on both ends, so removed that...

I have books coming... But this looks like it should be straight forward and just wanted to ask here, thank you for any consideration and have a good day.

Reactions: part-timer

bruce linde

ADMIN / MODERATOR
NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
photos?

bruce linde

ADMIN / MODERATOR
NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region

Rick Hufnagel

Just Rick!
NAWCC Member
Oct 25, 2018
Pittsburgh pa
Country
Region
20210615_153250~2.jpg
Above is just the setup.

Below is a closer picture of the headstock
20210615_153326~2.jpg
Next is the lug screw hole in the rear, which I believe held the rear bearing in place
20210615_153351~3.jpg
Here is the front of it, with dust cap removed.
20210615_153333~2.jpg
Next is spindle and set screw holes
20210615_153401~2.jpg

D.th.munroe

Feb 15, 2018
BC Canada
Country
Region
Anytime.
Did you get collets or anything else with yours? Mine takes the odd slightly smaller than 8mm size rivett collets and ww collets don't fit.
As well it has a 52mm center instead of 50mm like most ww lathes.

I wish the person I got this one from had asked how to put it together it. When I got it it was hammered together with the key in the pully not in the keyway.
It left this new keyway in the spindle and cracked the pully, also left some marring on the end of the spindle so collets don't sit right anymore, which also showed the spindle is not hardened.
He was sure determined to get it together that way, so It's more of a display piece now.
Dan

1623890313087446195713326017231.jpg

Rick Hufnagel

Just Rick!
NAWCC Member
Oct 25, 2018
Pittsburgh pa
Country
Region
It has 10 collets with it. A few say Boley, others are unnamed. They all fit in and close when tried. Unfortunately I do not know the difference in collet types yet. Still learning. Is there somewhere to read about which ones are which?
Just started the Goodrich book today. Here is my artistically challenged rendition of a collet, with measurements. The two on top are diameters, and the bottom is the length. The particular collet measured read G. Boley on the side.
20210616_232657~2.jpg

For the price of this lathe, I basically bought it to learn to sharpen gravers and some basic cuts. The plan is to read books and repeatedly work on basic skills.

Id be happy to tell you the center, as soon as I learn what it is and how it's measured! Haha. Sorry! If you mean the center of the wire chuck from the base, it's coming in at around 55mms. That does not jive with your measurements given, so I'm probably wrong about how to measure it.

That's a shame about the abuse your lathe went through! That had to take some effort to accomplish... Strange.

Last edited:

D.th.munroe

Feb 15, 2018
BC Canada
Country
Region
Ahh thats good.
Yes 55mm not 52mm not sure what I was thinking.
Thats closer to the 8mm size, the collets on this one are 7.6mm, which I only have 2 of.

part-timer

Jun 27, 2017
Country
Rick, I'm a user of Rivett lathes also. There's a Rivett expert who shared a Word document with me describing step-by-step how to disassemble, reassemble & adjust the Rivett headstock. Send me a private message and I'll reply with the document as an attachment. By the way, don't use PB blaster on your lathes - that's a solvent designed to dissolve lead. Liquid Wrench or some other penetrating oil would likely have been a better choice.
Also, Rivett collets are unique in several ways. The numbering scheme for the hole sizes are backwards, compared to other WW-style collets - meaning that with other WW-style collets, the big holes are assigned a big number, and small holes are assigned a small number. With Rivett collets, the reverse is true - a #1 Rivett collet is the largest hole and a #80 is the smallest.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steveal
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-