Strong running cuckoo stops

POWERSTROKE

Jan 11, 2011
I have a cuckoo that was acquired that has been keeping good time. 1.5 seconds an hour. I went to adjust the pendulum at 6:30 a hair to get it dead even. Came back back downstairs at 7 and the clock was stopped at 6:45. Pushed the pendulum and it stopped a couple times trying to do that 2-3 times. Re-tilted the clock to get in beat and running strong again. It’s been keeping amazing time for a couple months now. But when I pulled the pendulum/bob off and put it back on it stopped 15 mi. Later. I do not remember moving the clock itself to put it out of beat. Are these cloca sensitive to this?

POWERSTROKE

Jan 11, 2011
I guess another question I have is what will stop a clock other than movement problems? I looked at this movement and it seems healthy. It has good overswing. Keeps exceptional time. Do temperature changes matter? Heating vents? Touching the pendulum to adjust? Etc.

bruce linde

ADMIN / MODERATOR
NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
you mentioned that you put it in beat... but don't say when it was acquired... or when last serviced (my rule of thumb: if you don't know when it was last serviced, it needs it!).

also... i just had a similar problem with a banjo clock where i was regulating the pendulum and pulled the pendulum toward me slightly... enough to pull the crutch forks forward so they now hit the back of the dial... stopping the clock after just a short time.

i don't know cuckoo clocks, but to answer your question: a too-tight crutch slot, needs cleaning, bob or pendulum rod rubbing somewhere, not really in beat, hands rubbing, tension washer hitting the front of the movement, etc. can all cause problems.

they work great when everything is aligned, clean, oiled and there is no friction. if there are any issues, it can be frustrating as heck.

POWERSTROKE

Jan 11, 2011
This clock was serviced recently by the fellow I bought it from. It has been keeping great time since the beginning of December. It stopped 15 minutes after I adjusted the bob. I really do not think I moved the clock on the wall.

POWERSTROKE

Jan 11, 2011
The crutch fork does look a little on the tight side. Not sure this caused this. It’s crazy because the clock has been running phenomenal for 1.5 months. Once I adjusted the tilt on the wall by 1-2mm again it’s been fine for over an hour, running well.

8B4FB679-C3E1-49F3-AFE4-45C55CB486A6.jpeg EDD7E961-CD2D-4FB4-9FCF-1E9BEF67C179.jpeg

THTanner

NAWCC Member
Jul 3, 2016
Carson City, Nevada
Country
Region
Did you take the pendulum off to adjust it? And if so, are you sure it is back on correctly and not off to the side. Sometimes that hook is smaller than loop and can get offset just enough to change the beat.

POWERSTROKE

Jan 11, 2011
Did you take the pendulum off to adjust it? And if so, are you sure it is back on correctly and not off to the side. Sometimes that hook is smaller than loop and can get offset just enough to change the beat.
I took the pendulum rod/bob off. It’s running fine right now. No clue what happened. I can tel you it happened after I adjusted it. We will see. If the problem is very random like once a month, what would that be attributed to?

POWERSTROKE

Jan 11, 2011
I think you are on to something. The clock stopped once when I first got it and tonight. It has rund beatifically for 6 weeks in between those two incidents. Each time I had touched the pendulum in one way or other. I think the first time I stopped it because it was running fast and tonight I took it off to get the bob just right. It may very well be that the pendulum Ulis not sitting exactly right on the hanger when I touch of. Been running ever since 6:45
p.s
The hook is not narrower than the loop though. So now im unsure.

tracerjack

NAWCC Member
Jun 6, 2016
Lodi, CA
Country
Region
I've only owned a few cuckoos, but they all seemed to be very sensitive to being touched, either from adjustment or dusting. One I had would stop if someone closed the door near where it was hanging. Each time I would find it slightly out of beat. Since yours runs strongly in between, I think it is being physically just slightly put out of beat without you realizing it.

POWERSTROKE

Jan 11, 2011
I've only owned a few cuckoos, but they all seemed to be very sensitive to being touched, either from adjustment or dusting. One I had would stop if someone closed the door near where it was hanging. Each time I would find it slightly out of beat. Since yours runs strongly in between, I think it is being physically just slightly put out of beat without you realizing it.
You maybe right. I can’t see how it will run +1 second an hour for a month straight and stop if I adjust it in some manner. I’ll keep my eyes on it.

Chris D

NAWCC Member
Sep 8, 2009
Coplay, PA
Country
Region
What type of movement? Regula 25? In general, a one day movement that has been properly serviced will run 'out of beat' with no problem. Eight day clocks have a little less freedom. So if you have to have the clock 'just right' for it to run, there's something wrong.

POWERSTROKE

Jan 11, 2011
It’s a one day regula 25. It’s been serviced. I do have heat registers that run the circumference of all my rooms. Anytime this clock has ever stopped it was from me adjusting the pendulum. Otherwise it runs within less than a minute a day.

Vernon

NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2006
Country
Region
The crutch fork does look a little on the tight side
The wire coming through the crutch loop should not bind and have freedom from one end to the other but still be tight within the loop.

Kevin W.

NAWCC Member
Apr 11, 2002
Nepean, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
When i hear the word serviced in a description of a clock for sale i usually have my doubts. Did it get the duncan swish, and it ran long enough just to get out the door. I know you wont like to hear this, but it happens.

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
The most often problem I see is dust and dirt packed into the pinion gullets along with hair or lint wrapped around the pinions, not to mention air movement.
8-Days are much more sensitive to all these problems.
That crutch eye is supposed to be sloppy. Cuckoos are different from regular clocks. They do not like anything to be even close to tight.
Note, in clock work a wide clearance at the crutch eye is refered to as 'a lot of knock'. Cuckoos require a lot of 'knock'.
Willie X

Hans_

Jul 3, 2012
New Delhi
Country
I mean no disrespect, but you also mentioned that the clock has been recently serviced. I cannot count the number of times I've had to rebush, replace parts, or overhaul clocks that the customers told me were "just serviced".
On modern cuckoos, it could be something as simple as a missing or loose E-clip.
Also, as Willie mentioned, cuckoo clocks are different in that some standard clock repair rules don't apply.
While you're at it, check the pendulum hook or slider for unnecessary shake.

Hans

POWERSTROKE

Jan 11, 2011
When i hear the word serviced in a description of a clock for sale i usually have my doubts. Did it get the duncan swish, and it ran long enough just to get out the door. I know you wont like to hear this, but it happens.
You could be correct. I’m starting to maybe think this is the case. It has new bellow tops and looked clean when I received it. I hung it up and it ran amazing for weeks. Then when I adjusted the pendulum bob by taking the whole pendulum off and carefully moving it, it stopped 15 minutes later. Happened 2 times. Has been running for 7 hours now. I did take it off the wall because curiosity got to me, and there is some slop in the train on the strike side. I have contacted the seller for a return ad I had asked about al this stuff before I bought it with positive feedback that there were no issues. Shame. I am no expert with clocks and trying to learn, but unsure what is acceptable movement when pushing on the 1st wheel and where. I’m assuming what I’m seeing is too much? One thing I have noted is that it seems to have stopped at 1/4 to an hour when it happened .This is way before the warning, so no idea. It stopped at 6:45 and 8:45 this evening and has been running ever since. It’s now 1:35am Furthermore, I can’t believe how well it’s run giving that this has happened. Not sure I want to deal with this and maybe best to send it back..

Last edited:
Reactions: Kevin W.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
I'm thinking along the lines of what Willie and others have said. The crutch loop might not have parallel sides, and when you touch the pendulum to adjust it you may be forcing it into a tighter area of the crutch loop.

POWERSTROKE

Jan 11, 2011
So I had purchased this through eBay before Christmas. New bellows were installed and it said cleaned and oiled. I contacted eBAy and wrote a note to the seller telling him that the clock has stopped as described above. Some of the bushings look on the loose side to me, but I’m no pro. Anyways, the clock has been running exact all weekend. As my craptastic luck would have it the seller get back to me today and refunds my money. I had explained in the mail, I wanted to know really what he had done etc to prepare the clock before shipment as in cleaning etc. I really didn’t pay a lot for it. I just like that style clock. I specifically said in my mail to him I liked the clock and didn’t necessarily want a refund unless it happened again. I said I would like to wait and watch and see how it runs. He said no big deal, I don’t want it back and it was only a small amount of money not to worry about it. He said maybe you can keep it running, use for parts etc. So now I have a clock and my money back, and I don’t feel right about it, but he said to leave it as is because it’s not worth the trouble to send it back etc. I even offered to reverse the refund for now.
I basically would’ve liked him to accept the clock back and refund me if it started stopping again. I wasn’t looking for him to let me keep both. How do I handle this?

Uhralt

NAWCC Member
Sep 4, 2008
Country
Region
So I had purchased this through eBay before Christmas. New bellows were installed and it said cleaned and oiled. I contacted eBAy and wrote a note to the seller telling him that the clock has stopped as described above. Some of the bushings look on the loose side to me, but I’m no pro. Anyways, the clock has been running exact all weekend. As my craptastic luck would have it the seller get back to me today and refunds my money. I had explained in the mail, I wanted to know really what he had done etc to prepare the clock before shipment as in cleaning etc. I really didn’t pay a lot for it. I just like that style clock. I specifically said in my mail to him I liked the clock and didn’t necessarily want a refund unless it happened again. I said I would like to wait and watch and see how it runs. He said no big deal, I don’t want it back and it was only a small amount of money not to worry about it. He said maybe you can keep it running, use for parts etc. So now I have a clock and my money back, and I don’t feel right about it, but he said to leave it as is because it’s not worth the trouble to send it back etc. I even offered to reverse the refund for now.
I basically would’ve liked him to accept the clock back and refund me if it started stopping again. I wasn’t looking for him to let me keep both. How do I handle this?
Just tell him "Thank you, that's very kind of you".

Uhralt

Reactions: Willie X

tracerjack

NAWCC Member
Jun 6, 2016
Lodi, CA
Country
Region
Believe the seller when he says it isn't worth the hassle, and as Uhralt suggests, a thank you very much with a 5 star feedback.

POWERSTROKE

Jan 11, 2011
Thanks for the suggestion. The guy sells these things with 100% ratings. So, I’ll see what happens. It’s been running to +1 second an hour since Friday night. We will see. It also ran from dec 23rd to this past Friday until I adjusted it .(the pendulum bob, yes I know how to do it)

Last edited:

mrtalkradio

Jan 18, 2020
Country
Fun read. Anyone who tears these down to 2 naked plates and puts it back together only to sell it, have a customer question a few things then tells customer to keep the clock and I'll refund your money, did not tear the clock down. For those of us who have we wouldn't do that. It takes time and precision to do that. And that's not even re-bushing, re-pivoting or even polishing pivots. Basic tear down clean. When we do it? They don't stop. If they do, we want to know why, just like you. We can repeat the steps of what we did like mathematics.
Many take the movement out and do a dunk and dry. Ultrasonic cleaner and a hairdrier. Re-oil and away we go. "Serviced and Oiled"

If done correctly there is quite a bit of test time out of the cuckoo house. I've taken apart several "just stopped ticking" cuckoo's. 98% of the time they just need a proper cleaning.

And you know what? None of my clocks just stop ticking anymore.

Cuckoo's must be level, get yourself one. If you bought one cuckoo, you'll probably buy another.
About 12 years ago I went through what you are going through. And that's how I started my hobby of repairing Cuckoo's. Maybe you're next!
You made out well, keep the clock, don't look back, time keeps moving forward.

POWERSTROKE

Jan 11, 2011
Fun read. Anyone who tears these down to 2 naked plates and puts it back together only to sell it, have a customer question a few things then tells customer to keep the clock and I'll refund your money, did not tear the clock down. For those of us who have we wouldn't do that. It takes time and precision to do that. And that's not even re-bushing, re-pivoting or even polishing pivots. Basic tear down clean. When we do it? They don't stop. If they do, we want to know why, just like you. We can repeat the steps of what we did like mathematics.
Many take the movement out and do a dunk and dry. Ultrasonic cleaner and a hairdrier. Re-oil and away we go. "Serviced and Oiled"

If done correctly there is quite a bit of test time out of the cuckoo house. I've taken apart several "just stopped ticking" cuckoo's. 98% of the time they just need a proper cleaning.

And you know what? None of my clocks just stop ticking anymore.

Cuckoo's must be level, get yourself one. If you bought one cuckoo, you'll probably buy another.
About 12 years ago I went through what you are going through. And that's how I started my hobby of repairing Cuckoo's. Maybe you're next!
You made out well, keep the clock, don't look back, time keeps moving forward.
I have a bunch of movements I am going to start working on soon. I read the balcomb books and Koch. Is there a book specific to cuckoo repair I should read? In All fairness to the seller, it did stop when I took the pendulum off to adjust the bob and put it back on. Weird. Stopped 15 minutes later. Went to start it, and stopped 2 hours later. I then took it off the wall etc and looked it over. Put it back and it has been running perfectly since Friday. Before Friday it worked flawlessly from 12/23 until 1/24. It’s why I wanted to just let him know what was going on through eBay and do a wait and watch. Believe me, I did not want a refund and the clock. If worse comes to worse I’ll just try and repair the movement. By the way, I have 6 cuckoos now. It may get insane.

Phil G4SPZ

NAWCC Member
Oct 18, 2018
Bewdley, Worcestershire, UK
Country
Region
It seems that the greater amount of air motion round the movement caused by the bellows increases the tendency for atmospheric dust and fluff to be deposited in the pivots.

A lady recently brought me a 7-year-old cuckoo to look at with the Regula 25 movement, which was surprisingly dirty inside. As well as dirt it had one pretty badly worn pivot hole. I advised fitting a new movement. In the meantime, a quick wash-out and lubrication got it going again, and she tells me it’s still going!

Jordan1939

Oct 6, 2020
Country
I guess another question I have is what will stop a clock other than movement problems? I looked at this movement and it seems healthy. It has good overswing. Keeps exceptional time. Do temperature changes matter? Heating vents? Touching the pendulum to adjust? Etc.
do you have pics of the movement?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kevsun
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Weekly News 7/7/19 by Tom McIntyre