Stromberg Master Clock...need pendulum specs please

Discussion in 'Electric Horology' started by BCR, May 3, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. For the new NAWCC home page
    Click this image at the upper left corner of this page.
  1. BCR

BCR Registered User

May 3, 2020
    Male
    Country Flag:
    I am in the process of restoring a 1939 Stromberg Master clock in a 59" tall case. It has a 6289-M self winding movement. The clock seems to be complete, except that the pendulum stick and pendulum bob are missing. The top part that attaches to the pendulum stick is present, as well as the suspension spring. I would appreciate any help here as to whether the stick should be wood or metal, and the weight of the pendulum bob. Of course I'd be amazed if I could just find one for sale, but doubting that option, I will either find or make a replacement. I know it won't be original, but at least I can get the clock running while I continue to search. Thanks in advance for any help!!

2. Scot Traffis

Scot Traffis Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 8, 2011
    electical tech
    parma oh
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Some pictures would be helpful. Have both a mercury pendulum and a stick and bob pendulum. Scot

3. BCR

BCR Registered User

May 3, 2020
    Male
    Country Flag:
  4. Scot Traffis

NAWCC Member

Apr 8, 2011
    electical tech
    parma oh
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Your clock originally had a mercury pendulum. The metal piece is a leader that the pendulum was attached to. Will take some pictures of the one I have and post them.

5. BCR

BCR Registered User

May 3, 2020
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Thank you Scot. The pendulum leader has 2 holes near its bottom.The leader's total
    length is about 10.5" or 26.67 cm, and the max width stick it would accept would be approx. 7" or 17.78cm. Would these holes at the leaders bottom be for 2 screws that would thread directly into a metal "stick"? It will be helpful to see your pictures.
    Any ideas where I might obtain a pendulum for this great old clock?
    IMG_2838.JPG IMG_2836.JPG

6. Scot Traffis

NAWCC Member

Apr 8, 2011
    electical tech
    parma oh
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I do have an extra mercury pendulum, trying to post pictures but having a problem. will get them up as soon as possible

7. Scot Traffis

NAWCC Member

Apr 8, 2011
    electical tech
    parma oh
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  8. BCR

BCR Registered User

May 3, 2020
    Male
    Country Flag:
    #8 BCR, May 4, 2020
    Last edited: May 4, 2020
    Thanks Scot. I just measured, and from the bottom of the pendulum leader, the pendulum should be just shy of 36"...or at least that's how much room I have to just above the beat pointer.
    So it looks like a good match. Is it one that holds actual mercury, or just 2 steel cylinders that look like mercury jars? I'd love to talk further about this pendulum. I only joined yesterday, but was an active NAWCC member in the 80's and 90's. I will create a CLOCK PARTS WANTED forum post

9. BCR

BCR Registered User

May 3, 2020
    Male
    Country Flag:
    I will create a post on the "clock parts wanted" forum, as per the rules I just read