• Upcoming updates
    Over the next couple of weeks we will be performing software updates on the forum. These will be completed in small steps as we upgrade individual software addons. You might occasionally see a maintenance message that will last a few minutes at most.

If we anticipate an update will take more than a few minutes, we'll put up a notice with estimated time.

Thank you!

Stripped threads in Pillar Plate

Tom Barrett

NAWCC Member
Nov 22, 2019
Hi, I'm new to pocket watches and really enjoyed disassembling an old Elgin watch, cleaning, lubricating, and reassembling it...and seeing it run well when I was finished. I am working on an Elgin 18s watch (Grade 82) to give my friend as a gift, and when reassembling it, I noticed one of the pillars on the pillar plate has stripped threads so the screw won't hold. I have a parts movement and would like to know if it's possible to remove and replace a pillar, and if so, how to do it. It appears, to my untrained eyes, to be either a press fit or perhaps screwed on via a stud in the plate. I don't want to experiment and damage anything unnecessarily!

Jerry Kieffer

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
May 31, 2005
wisconsin
Country
Hi, I'm new to pocket watches and really enjoyed disassembling an old Elgin watch, cleaning, lubricating, and reassembling it...and seeing it run well when I was finished. I am working on an Elgin 18s watch (Grade 82) to give my friend as a gift, and when reassembling it, I noticed one of the pillars on the pillar plate has stripped threads so the screw won't hold. I have a parts movement and would like to know if it's possible to remove and replace a pillar, and if so, how to do it. It appears, to my untrained eyes, to be either a press fit or perhaps screwed on via a stud in the plate. I don't want to experiment and damage anything unnecessarily!
Tom
All repairs depend on how one is equipped and personal work standards.

It is likely that your pillars are threaded(right hand) in the plate per attached photo. Unfortunately, they tend to be very tight and sometimes troublesome to get loose.

I have a junk lathe draw bar and junk set of collets that I insert various parts into and can over tighten until I am able to snap whatever loose.

If your not equipped, I would suggest placing a small piece of hobby aluminum tubing over the post to protect it, and clamp onto it with a pliers or a
small vise grip.

Good Luck
Jerry Kieffer

fullsizeoutput_921.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stademock
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit