Stringing a Wood Clock

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by grasshopper, Jun 13, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. grasshopper

grasshopper Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 3, 2013
    Retired now work part time as an Adjunct Professor
    Wells, ME
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Semi-newbie here…I recently picked this wood clock up at a local yard sale. I thought it would be a fun clock to get running. It needs a pendulum leader which I think I can make…but I have no idea how to string weights on this movement. There are two pulleys that drive the one train (I think). I have never seen anything like this before and am completely confused.Any suggestion would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

wood 1.jpg Wood 2.jpg wood 3.jpg wood 4.jpg

2. shutterbug

shutterbug Super Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Do a search for "Buco". There are several varieties. We used to have a thread devoted to them, but I can't find it now.

3. bruce linde

bruce linde Technical Admin
    NAWCC Member Donor

Nov 13, 2011
    web developer
    oakland, ca.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    best way to search the MB is to use google ... search for this:

buco site:mb.nawcc.org

4. shutterbug

NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Here's the one I was thinking of. It takes you to the last page though, so you'll have to click page one at the bottom to see all the varieties.

5. grasshopper

NAWCC Member

Sep 3, 2013
    Wells, ME
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks for your help...but if you do not mind, I have still have a few questions/comments. My clock is designed to run while mounted horizontally like in the picture that I posted earlier and those below. I went through the entire five pages in the forum link you provided (thank you) and did not find one that was horizontal or looked like mine. Also, my clock does not have "wag weights" like the Buco (hope that is the right term), so to me anyway, it is unlike the ones pictured in the link. While going through the posts in the link I read something about "counter-weights" which got me thinking. Is the reason my clock has two pulleys (with only one train) because one of the pulleys is attached to a counterweight? In the post I read in the link, it said that the counter weight came up while the main weight that powers the train dropped and that the clock was wound by pulling the counter weight back down. Does this make sense? Should I string the clock in such a way that the counter weight is used to wind the the clock...I hope I explained this clearly. Also, does anyone have any idea how much the counter-weight (if there is one) and the main weight should weigh? Once again thanks for the help. Here are w few more pictures...
    Wood 5.jpg Wood 6.jpg Wood 7.jpg

6. shutterbug

NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I've not encountered one like that. It appears to be a rough dead beat design, but with wooden pallets I have my doubts about how long they would last. It might be a design by a clock enthusiast, and it's hard to know how he might have wanted it powered. I'd start with a single pulley arrangement, and if needed add a small counter weight to the other pulley. Most of the Buco's use about 5 pounds for the weight, with maybe a one pound counter weight, if one is used at all. Yours may require less. Experimentation will be the answer.

7. grasshopper

NAWCC Member

Sep 3, 2013
    Wells, ME
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thank you for the excellent information...I am going to try giving the counter weight idea a go. At least now I have an idea of how to string this and I'll play around with the weights. Funny thing Shutter, when I bought this clock the seller said it was homemade, but I figured he was just saying that because the clock looked different and he want maximum price...we settled on $12.00. I'm still happy with the investment.

8. shutterbug

NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It looks home made, but by someone who knew what he was doing. He's got gears and lantern pinions .... an indication that he is a machinist with a mill :)

9. bruce linde

bruce linde Technical Admin
    NAWCC Member Donor

Nov 13, 2011
    web developer
    oakland, ca.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    grasshopper - the great wheel looks unfinished to me... if you wound this clock, the barrel would be flat all the way across... but this has a ridge in the middle. i don't see a place to wind the clock, which makes me think it's supposed to function like a chain-driven clock... you pull one end of the chain (or rope) to raise the weight up. when the weight started to fall from gravity, the chair would catch in little teeth and pull the great wheel.... see photo.

i also don't see where the pendulum would attach on yours, to cause the verge/anchor to rock back and forth in connection with the escape wheel. maybe some more closeups?

s-l1600-4.jpg

10. R&A

R&A Registered User

Oct 21, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Most of the ones I have seen are rope and ones that use a rock for a weight

11. shutterbug

NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The "pendulum" is just a wooden counter weight seen on the back side of the anchor. Most of these types of clocks run without a traditional pendulum, and are controlled mostly by brute force. They are usually conversation pieces without much use for time regulation :)