Striking issue

Viennaman

May 23, 2005
I am really happy with the restoration I've done on my 2-weight "Remember" Vienna Regulator - look's good, it's keeping time to better than a second a week, and it's striking fine and clear. I just have one last issue.

The hour strikes absolutely on the "12" mark, after much patient hand-bush twiddling, but the 1/2 hour strikes just over a minute late. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Viennaman

May 23, 2005
I am really happy with the restoration I've done on my 2-weight "Remember" Vienna Regulator - look's good, it's keeping time to better than a second a week, and it's striking fine and clear. I just have one last issue.

The hour strikes absolutely on the "12" mark, after much patient hand-bush twiddling, but the 1/2 hour strikes just over a minute late. Does anyone have any suggestions?

eskmill

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Aug 24, 2000
Region
I'm not familiar with your Austrian made movement. However, on most of the German made 2 wt VR movements I've observed, striking is controlled by pins planted in the "minute wheel" (the idler between the canon pinion and the wheel). The pins operate the lifting piece to unlock the strike train.

It is likely that one of the pins is either bent or planted not exactly.

Viennaman

May 23, 2005
Thanks for the advice, Jim and Eckmill! I'm beginning to think that since I've got the clock so accurate now, I might be tempting fate to dissassemble it again. It's admittedly not a major strip-down (just hands & dial and whip off the bridge), but since it took me so long to get the hand friction just right, I think I may wait until I need to clean it thoroughly again.

Thanks again, fellows!

Scottie-TX

Deceased
Apr 6, 2004
Mesquite, TX
Country
Region
Well, "VMAN" , as I see it the hand and square boss it mounts to is vertically symmetric. I see no way to change one with out an equal and opposite change to the other. (hour vs half hour). Consider: Your dial may not be on perfect center. If it were a half minute off center you could divide the error between hour and half hour. Probably not easy but you could consider moving the dial to correct the error. Da Duffer

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Augustiner
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Rockford's early high grade movements by Greg Frauenhoff