Strikeside click problem

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by Mark F. Tooze, May 14, 2008.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Mark F. Tooze

Mark F. Tooze Registered User

Feb 5, 2007
    I have an American 30 hour clock on which the strike side click slips causing the spring to let down rapidly. I've tried tightening the rivet by tapping it with my brass hammer. That doesn't seem to solve the problem permanently. I have thought about putting more of a bend in the spring to put more pressure on the click, but am not sure that is the best approach. Anyone had any experiences with this they can share? Thank you.

2. Mark F. Tooze

Mark F. Tooze Registered User

Feb 5, 2007
    To be a little more precise, the click ends up not engaging the gear teeth thus allowing the spring to let down in an undesirable manner.

3. harold bain

harold bain Registered User
    NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Mark, I would replace the click, if it has too much play on its rivet. The usual parts suppliers should have a suitable replacement, with spring, and rivet.

4. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Mark and welcome .
    Is the problem with the spring is not holding the click onto the ratchet wheel.
    Just trying to understand, somedays i am a little slow.:clap:

5. Thyme

Thyme Banned

Sep 18, 2006
    metro NY area
    Mark,

From what you are describing, it sounds like there is too much wear or play in the rivet, which would cause the click to be sloppy in engaging the ratchet teeth.

You will need to repair that rivet, either by peening it more effectively (if it is merely loose) or by replacing it. To do that you will need to disassemble the movement to get at the rivet.