Strikes early

90 Flhs

Dec 26, 2020
Country
Can anyone help please. Working. On this Seth Thomas for a family member. When the moved they lost the pendulum. Found a pendulum and a bob now I have it back together and it strikes at 4 or 5 minutes before the hour. Also where the minute and hour hand are mounted that was bent maybe 10 degrees off. I bent it back and all seems to work but the early strike. Thanks for the help

EE0A32E9-A517-4446-9633-7A6D77E0AEF1.jpeg 3CDC21D9-DC1F-4D01-9118-426D236BB3A5.jpeg

tracerjack

NAWCC Member
Jun 6, 2016
Lodi, CA
Country
Region
When the movement somehow got dropped on it's nose, I would guess the star arm got shifted a bit. But that's only a guess, so let's wait for others to post who may know other places that could shift the drop of the lifter. This should be posted in the "Clock Repair" section for better answers. Hopefully the moderator will move it.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
That took a pretty good hit. There's two ways to approach a repair. The hardest is to move the pinion and lifter to the proper position. That would mean a little heat and prying it off with a couple of levers, and then getting it repositioned and tapped back on with a hollow punch. The other might be easier. Try flipping the hand over. Sometimes they are not exact from the factory. In probably 1/2 the cases, that works.

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
The minute hand should have a bushing at the center on that one.

Take the hand off, hold the round center part with a square tool in the center hole a small file tang works well, or you can make a square tool using a nail and a flat file.

With the center part held securely, carefully turn the hand in the desired direction.

Willie X

Reactions: Jonas

90 Flhs

Dec 26, 2020
Country
The minute hand should have a bushing at the center on that one.

Take the hand off, hold the round center part with a square tool in the center hole a small file tang works well, or you can make a square tool using a nail and a flat file.

With the center part held securely, carefully turn the hand in the desired direction.

Willie X
Willie that worked thanks a lot. Now next problem it was chiming fine and working great I tryed to set time to see how fast or slow it was and now I can’t get chimes to work. It does have a lever on the side to shut them off but nothing changes in any position I move it to

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
You might have to wiggle the chime drum a bit to free it up. Sometimes they get stuck mid song.

90 Flhs

Dec 26, 2020
Country
You might have to wiggle the chime drum a bit to free it up. Sometimes they get stuck mid song.
It’s amazing what you can find out when you read the paper in the case. I took the movement out to get it running and never read the paper in the case. It plays different chimes and stop chiming at 10:00 then will start again at 7:15. Thanks for all the help appreciate it.

Reactions: Jonas

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
:D