Strike train reassembly - regula 25

Kipster

NAWCC Member
Feb 5, 2019
Neenah, WI
Country
Reassembly of regula 25. When reassembling the strike train, what again is the sequenc to get the gears correct? How do you make sure the count arm pin is in the detent of the gathering pallet. And how to adjust the strike chain gear CCW to adjust the GP so that it is locked. How do you mark or scribe index mark on plate and where? Should the pin from the fan wheel lever be at 12:00. I am pretty sure it was 3 things that had to be in sync for the strike train to work properly. Thanks KP

Last edited:

Kipster

NAWCC Member
Feb 5, 2019
Neenah, WI
Country
Also, just want to confirm on the train side(Regula) the 4 gears in sequence.

1. Chain wheel- strike
2. Gathering pallet gear
Strike release lever
3. Fan wheel with pin
4. Fan wheel or governor

I also realize the rack pin should fall on land 12 of the snail at about 1/3 into the land. I just want to make sure I have the sequence correct and the strike train adjusted correctly so the gp, rack, count arm, snail and pin on the fan wheel all work together properly when reassembled. Thanks in advance.
Kp

Last edited:

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Don't make any permanent marks on the movement. Most of the final adjustments can be made after assembly. If you have the gears arranged largest to smallest as the train progresses and all of the gears are engaged with the lower wheel, it's right. Adjust the GP so it stops after the last lift wire falls and it should be fine. Be sure any internal cams and levers are engaged also as you build the train.

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
That 3rd wheel up is called the warning wheel.

A good practice would be to leave out the time train and put in the 3 lower strike/cuckoo wheels along with the assiciated levers and see how it goes. You can leave off the rack.

With the train in the 'stop' position, the strike hammer should be just shy of the lifting stage, and the rack hook pin should be at the bottom of the notch in the heart shaped gathering pallet. Small adjustments in the gathering pallet's position are made at the second wheel to warning arbor pinion mesh point.

I'm assuming the heart shaped gathering pallet has not been moved from it's factory position.

Willie X

Kipster

NAWCC Member
Feb 5, 2019
Neenah, WI
Country
So is the warning wheel the same as fan wheel or is it just warning wheel. I am practicing on some old regula movements, so I am not sure the (gp) has not been moved. In any event, it should be something one should know when adjusting the strike train side. Could you elaborate on second wheel to warning arbor pinion mesh point. You lost me there.

Last edited:

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
No not the same wheel. On your clock the warning wheel (3rd wheel) drives the fly via the fly pinion. The fly is on the 4th arbor.

Where each wheel drives the next pinion up, thats the mesh point. This is the usual way to change one wheel in relation to another. For instance, your strike hook pin is not positioned exactly right at the stop. You would separate the plates a bit, disengage the warning
wheel''s pinion and turn the 2nd wheel one or more teeth and then reengage the pinion into the 2nd wheel, thus changing the relationship between what's connected to the 2nd wheel and what's connected to the 3rd wheel.

The fly gets a free ride. It has no specific orientation at all.

Willie X

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cicastol
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Weekly News 7/7/19 by Tom McIntyre