• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center will reopen starting Wednesday, January 6, 2021 as per Governor Wolf's reopening mandate.

Strike side stops on weight driven

Robert Gary

Member, NAWCC Board of Directors
Director
NAWCC Member
Feb 26, 2003
Southern California
Country
Region
I have a weight driven strike wall clock that is about 30 years old. It has never been seviced in that time. Now, the weight on the strike train stops about half way down. The time side is not affected and runs fine.

As I overhaul this movement, what should I be looking for as the probable cause of the stoppage?

RobertG

Robert Gary

Director
NAWCC Member
Feb 26, 2003
Southern California
Country
Region
I have a weight driven strike wall clock that is about 30 years old. It has never been seviced in that time. Now, the weight on the strike train stops about half way down. The time side is not affected and runs fine.

As I overhaul this movement, what should I be looking for as the probable cause of the stoppage?

RobertG

T

Tom Chaudoir

Hi Robert,

Are the weights on chains or cables?

Regards,

Tom Chaudoir
Milwaukee, WI
America

Robert Gary

Director
NAWCC Member
Feb 26, 2003
Southern California
Country
Region
Tom:

The weights are on chains.

Phil:

I don't know yet what type of movement it is since I haven't removed it from the case yet. My parents brought it to me new from Holland about 30 years ago.

RobertG

T

Tom Chaudoir

Hi Robert,

Measure a few inches of chain on the end that does not hook to the weight. Count the number of links per inch, or foot. Compare this to the middle of the chain. The links there may be stretched. If so, it may foul going over the chain wheel. The cure may be easy. A new chain.

Regards,

Tom Chaudoir
Milwaukee, WI
America

Robert Gary

Director
NAWCC Member
Feb 26, 2003
Southern California
Country
Region
Tom:
Thank you. I will check that out.

RobertG

timerider

May 5, 2003
Stanwood, Mi.
Country
Region
In my shop I work on many of the modern clocks. Its most likely a german movement! And if never serviced in 30 yrs. its worn out, I rarely see them run more than 28 - 30 years without service (that age). They keep making the movnts. with lighter materials the ones made today are going to last about 15 yrs give or take. You will likely have to do a complete overhaul. New movements are likely available if you want to chang it out. Otherwise youre probably looking at several bushings, and pivot restoration thruout, and a good cleaning.

thetimekeepingshop@msn.com

RichG

Dec 16, 2002
Robert,
The first thing that I would do, as Tom suggested, is inspect and clean the chains. I have a German made wag-on-the-wall that had the same problem that you are describing, only it was the time side. It is about the same age as your clock and ( according to the people that gave it to me) had never been serviced. The chain was just dirty enough to cause a stiffness in one area and wouldn't feed over the pulley. Then I cleaned and oiled the movement. This was about 3 years ago and the clock runs great and keeps great time.
This might not be the problem with your clock, but it's worth checking out.
Rich

Robert Gary

Director
NAWCC Member
Feb 26, 2003
Southern California
Country
Region
Thank you everyone. When I can get to it, I will give both the movement and the chains a complete overhaul. I have stopped the clock until then to prevent any further damage.

Since it was a gift from my parents, I would rather rebush, repivot and rechain than replace, but that depends on the realities I find when I get into it.

Thanks again.

RobertG

Robert Gary

Director
NAWCC Member
Feb 26, 2003
Southern California
Country
Region
I can detect no problems with the chains.

Looking at the movement through the back of the case, (I have not yet removed it), the plates are dimpled, is a logo in the line drawing of a clock face with what appear to be the letters FHS above it, and above that the number 73. Below the logo is the number 241-080, and below that, the numbers 32cm and 122.8 (which I assume are the pendulum length).

Is this a Hermle movement?

I see no obviously worn pivots as visible from the back.

RobertG

T

Tom Chaudoir

Hi Robert,

In most cases, you can't just look at the pivot holes at rest to see if they are worn.

With the movement on your bench, grasp the chain wheel and torque it back and forth. Look at the pivots under magnification and good light. Pivots in worn holes will jump back and forth. That's because the hole isn't round anymore. It's slotted or egg shaped from the pivot wearing away at just one side.

While you are doing this gently grasp the fly or escape wheel to keep it from turning.

The movement is available for about $75. I'd rather not point to a supplier here, but if you email me I'll point you to at least one. tom@clocktech.com

Regards,

Tom Chaudoir
Milwaukee, WI
America

timerider

May 5, 2003
Stanwood, Mi.
Country
Region
I rebuild these movnts. all the time with good success. The great & 2nd wheel pivots are the only ones that give me a problem. A pivot file dont work, I use emery sticks and a hard polishing wheel after. I makesure to get all the plating off the pivots before smoothing it good.(if they are plated)thetimekeepingshop@msn.com

Robert Gary

Director
NAWCC Member
Feb 26, 2003
Southern California
Country
Region
Thank you everyone for your help. I think I will try to service this one, I can always buy a new movement if I can't get this one working.

Timerider, I may call upon you for advice if I find I need it.

Thank you again.

RobertG