Street clock

Discussion in 'Tower, Monumental & Street Clocks' started by Henry Parker, Mar 23, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Henry Parker

Henry Parker Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 21, 2019
    I am the happy owner of a Seth Thomas street clock works after its collision w/ a truck. Number 2442, model # ¿ 5 ?. The factory hand written record does not appear to match what I have. I have repaired the damage and mounted the works in a ‘grandfather case’ ; it operates with a 10# line pull and a 6 lb pendulum.

My questions:

1. What were the original line pulls and pendulum weights; pictures seem to suggest line pulls of 20-30 lbs and pendulums of 20 lbs. Why?

2. Any source of information on the switch mechanism to operate the electric dial lights?

3. Is there a source of replacement suspension springs or does one make a replacement (nothing listed on Time Savers seems to match ).

2. Peter A. Nunes

Peter A. Nunes Moderator
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member Sponsor

Mar 3, 2006
    Male
    Restorer of antique clocks.
    Rhode Island
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Pictures will be very helpful. Where was this street clock located? When was it damaged? How badly damaged was the case?

3. Henry Parker

Henry Parker Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 21, 2019
    I understand that the clock was at the ferry landing in Beacon, New York, when it was destroyed by a collision w/ a truck. The only information that I have is that the only part salvaged was the clock works; but that may be incorrect. I do not have the event date here, but may be able to recover it in another file. Picture attached image.png : clock works.JPG image.png G'father clock.JPG

4. Peter A. Nunes

Peter A. Nunes Moderator
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member Sponsor

Mar 3, 2006
    Male
    Restorer of antique clocks.
    Rhode Island
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks very much! Good to hear that this wasn't a recent event.