Street Clock, Santa Paula, California

Discussion in 'Tower, Monumental & Street Clocks' started by Robert Gary, Jun 30, 2007.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Robert Gary

Robert Gary Member, NAWCC Board of Directors
    Director NAWCC Member

Feb 26, 2003
    Male
    Southern California
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    This street clock was originally in front of a clock repair shop in Santa Paula. The owner donated it to the City, and it is now a city landmark.

Attached Files:

2. burnz

burnz Inactive User

Jan 24, 2006
    Country Flag:
    Now that is a great photo.
    An old street clock (hopefully functioning) with a modern automobile sitting in front of it. Thank goodness for preservation and those who give their time and/or property!

3. Robert Gary

Robert Gary Member, NAWCC Board of Directors
    Director NAWCC Member

Feb 26, 2003
    Male
    Southern California
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Burnz:

I apologize for the delay in responding to your question, but I wanted my answer to be correct. I asked a member of Chapter 190 who lives in Santa Paula, to verify that the clock is operational. Here is Paul's answer:

"I drove over just now to look at the street clock. It is currently functional and keeping time. The City of SP owns the clock, which was donated a few years ago by the widow of a gentleman who had a clock shop at that location, and the Public Works Department is responsible for it. I spoke to the Public Works Director a few months ago and he said that he assigned one of his staff members to read the instruction manual and be “in charge” of the street clock. Nevertheless the Director said he would welcome our involvement in the event it malfunctions. I asked him to contact me if a problem arises. I think it’s probably a fairly ordinary electric clock under the antique style case. My opinion is that at the moment it doesn’t need Chapter 190’s attention but it might at some time in the future."

RobertG

4. ElectricTime

ElectricTime Registered User
    NAWCC Business

Sep 28, 2002
    Clock was manufactured by my firm 10+ years ago - it's a reduced size version of a howard street clock, details are shown at;

Click Here

As this clock is older - I think that it's just manual set - no gps or automatic control.

5. kirxklox

kirxklox Registered User
    Deceased

Dec 17, 2002
    Dardanell, AR
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    That is so cool. That means that this clock is NEWER than MY Pick-up Truck. Wow. I am getting OLD.:mysad: