• Member Voting Now through June 6. Check Your Email for a Link to the Online Ballot. The Ballot Contains Links to Each Proposed Amendment to Bylaws and Articles of Incorporation.

strasser & rohde precision regulator

bruce linde

NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
this arrived late last night... a strasser & rohde precision regulator, approximate date 1916 (if anyone knows of a record of serial numbers and dates for these, pls lmk!)

most of these photos were taken pre-cleaning, while going through it.... extremely deliberate and well-thought-out design, jeweled escape wheel and verge pivots, top of (their) line invar rod pendulum. the S&Rs with the weights running down the sides get an extra coupe of days of run time.

pendulum_hanger_movement_bracket.jpg movement_back.jpg hanging_2.jpg hanging1.jpg lower_door_front.jpg lower_door_inner.jpg hood_door_inner.jpg hood_top_door_inner.jpg dial_hands.jpg dial_no_hands.jpg dial_front.jpg minute_hand_counterweight.jpg dial_back.jpg weight_pendulum_tray.jpg movement_front_counterweight.jpg cord_guide2.jpg suspension_crutch2.jpg cord_guide.jpg cord_guide_assy.jpg suspension_crutch.jpg pendulum_hanging.jpg suspension_spring.jpg bob_front.jpg bob_back.jpg suspension_spring_locks.jpg back_bracket.jpg

new2clocks

NAWCC Member
Apr 25, 2005
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
Strasser & Rohde were makers of outstanding precision timekeepers. Congratulations!

They were known to use some parts, such as the pendulum, from Riefler, another maker of precision timekeepers.

Courtesy H-H Schmid and JTD.

Regards.

Reactions: PatH

bruce linde

NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
i was thinking this is a fine, rare, high quality precision regulator… and that folks would enjoy seeing it.

but only one response.

hmm…

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member
Nov 26, 2009
Country
i was thinking this is a fine, rare, high quality precision regulator… and that folks would enjoy seeing it.

but only one response.

hmm…
Very nice clock.

I do have a question.

What type of wood is the case? It's so light in color.

Is it old?

Oh, and you should have posted something like a1980's Ridgeway or to identify a late unmarked German movement, etc, if you wanted responses.

RM

PatH

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Dec 5, 2014
Texas
Country
Region
Fantastic clock, and what a great addition to your collection!!

WIngraham

NAWCC Member
Apr 19, 2019
Country
Region
I really enjoyed the pics. I had nothing to add so I was a wallflower. The pics and even a video! spoke for themselves. Amazing clock that you could set your watch to. The craftsmanship of the suspension spring alone...

I thought the case might be newer until I really looked at it. For me, the case is distracting. Is that original? If it isn't, it would look great ebonized.

The crickets bother me too when I post sometimes. But I think a lot of people just don't know what to say or are too nervous to. I know I can be.

Will

bruce linde

NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
yes, i was thinking about those ridgeways and thrift shop buys when i was hearing the crickets. :)

case is original, and was not built to quite the same perfection as the works. i, too, wish it were darker.... thought about refinishing it, but it is what it is... and, it actually looks better side by side with the others.

w0.jpg

i'm not a wood guy, but here are some (more) closeup photos... maybe someone can identify?

w1.jpg w4.jpg w3.jpg w2.jpg

Schatznut

NAWCC Member
Sep 26, 2020
SoCal
Country
Region
Is the Rhode here Dr. Lothar Rhode, who was one of the founders of Rhode & Schwarz in 1933? R&S long has made some of the finest frequency measurement equipment in the world.

bruce linde

NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
Is the Rhode here Dr. Lothar Rhode, who was one of the founders of Rhode & Schwarz in 1933? R&S long has made some of the finest frequency measurement equipment in the world.

no, gustav rohde ... Strasser & Rohde - Wikipedia

gustav died in 1930... perhaps lothar was related? or maybe everyone back in those days was an engineering type? :)

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member
Nov 26, 2009
Country
yes, i was thinking about those ridgeways and thrift shop buys when i was hearing the crickets. :)

case is original, and was not built to quite the same perfection as the works. i, too, wish it were darker.... thought about refinishing it, but it is what it is... and, it actually looks better side by side with the others.

View attachment 708787

i'm not a wood guy, but here are some (more) closeup photos... maybe someone can identify?

View attachment 708788 View attachment 708789 View attachment 708790 View attachment 708791
I'm not the best @ wood ID either. Blond wood was popular for mid-20th century furniture, especially in the '40's and '50's.

I believe that something was done to the case...there appears to be a lot of open grain.

Relatively little interest in something different or better? Well welcome to the Forums.

You're a moderator. Surely you've seen all sorts of postings and how they've fared....and something of a defender of the status quo?

I applaud those who still will post something better or less often seen, deviating from the norm (and NO, that doesn't necessarily mean something expensive). One just needs to understand it very may well be quickly buried and lost with few or no responses or even views. And that's regardless of the quality of the object, what makes it interesting, and of the time and effort someone may have devoted to a posting, sharing their enthusiasm as well as the fruits of their research, links to additional reading, multiple clear pictures, etc.

If the sole or main gratification is the recognition of one's efforts as expressed by responses and viewings of it, well, that's a set up for repeated disappointment. Do it because you enjoy the object, learning about it, and sharing what you have learned, often with a select smaller audience.

This type of thing has been discussed a # of times before and it is why some serious folks eschew the Forums, to our detriment.

RM

Last edited:

bruce linde

NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
I am no longer a moderator or admin… I got tired of battling inertia.

otoh, i am now able to afford better clocks and have begun posting them to (essentially) crickets. oh, well. i appreciate when the more discerning respond and share in the moment... quality over quantity. :)

i will also keep posting with as many photos and as much information as i can, for posterity. i still believe in the message board as a great resource library (especially for ridgeways [joke!]) for those down the road.

Schatznut

NAWCC Member
Sep 26, 2020
SoCal
Country
Region
I quote no less eminent authority than the National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors:

" Let us know about your latest clock purchase or gift. Go ahead and brag a little!"

It's a crapshoot what the response will be. I wouldn't deign to insult the intelligentsia by showing off my latest triple-chime Howard Miller wall clock, in absolutely pristine condition, that was a thrift store find for $29. I like it even though many others would turn their noses up at it and sniff pretentiously. On the other hand, I don't know if there are any on these forums that belong to the BMW Car Club of America (BMWCCA) that get as tired as I do of the braggarts that show up in the Letters to the Editor every month. Their ostentatiousness makes me want to retch. Common disease, different medium.

I have the greatest respect for both Bruce and RM; I've learned so much from both of you and enjoy going along on the adventures of your latest acquisitions. Because I don't respond often is not an indication that I don't care; rather, it is that I have nothing of value to contribute to the conversation. So in most cases I stay in the background.

We get off into minor kerfuffles regularly here. I see that as a good thing, because it indicates many of us are passionate about clocks and about our hobby. As long as we don't leave bruises or draw blood.

neighmond

Jan 31, 2003
Rural Iowa
Country
Region
I think it's a beaut! Easy to read too! I like your old Stromberg master too!

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member
Nov 26, 2009
Country

otoh, i am now able to afford better clocks and have begun posting them to (essentially) crickets. oh, well. i appreciate when the more discerning respond and share in the moment... quality over quantity. :)

i will also keep posting with as many photos and as much information as i can, for posterity. i still believe in the message board as a great resource library (especially for ridgeways [joke!]) for those down the road.
I just noticed that you no longer list the titles.

Keep posting.
I quote no less eminent authority than the National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors:

" Let us know about your latest clock purchase or gift. Go ahead and brag a little!"

It's a crapshoot what the response will be. I wouldn't deign to insult the intelligentsia by showing off my latest triple-chime Howard Miller wall clock, in absolutely pristine condition, that was a thrift store find for $29. I like it even though many others would turn their noses up at it and sniff pretentiously. On the other hand, I don't know if there are any on these forums that belong to the BMW Car Club of America (BMWCCA) that get as tired as I do of the braggarts that show up in the Letters to the Editor every month. Their ostentatiousness makes me want to retch. Common disease, different medium.

I have the greatest respect for both Bruce and RM; I've learned so much from both of you and enjoy going along on the adventures of your latest acquisitions. Because I don't respond often is not an indication that I don't care; rather, it is that I have nothing of value to contribute to the conversation. So in most cases I stay in the background.

We get off into minor kerfuffles regularly here. I see that as a good thing, because it indicates many of us are passionate about clocks and about our hobby. As long as we don't leave bruises or draw blood.
Very well said.
Thanks for you kind words.

If just a few get something out of our posts, then it was worth it.

RM

Ralph

NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2002
Country
I think I know that clock. Maybe…. It belonged to a friend of mine, who bought it from a Swiss dealer. If it is the clock, it came from a prominent collection belonging to, who I believe was Hans Georg Plaut. His widow was offering some of the the clocks through a Swiss firm. My friend discovered the clock on the internet and bought it. The people who owned it, also had a compound in Costa Rica, where my friend went down to check some of the clocks down there and came home with a couple of other Astros and some bracket clocks, including a 14 tune musicaI clock I partnered with him on. He sold your clock on eBay years ago and you may have bought the clock from that buyer or whoever he recently sold it to.

There is a German member on the board who has posted his Strasser & Rohde here. I’m surprised he hasn’t noticed yours. His hasthe Strasser escapement, which is similar to the Riefler, in that it impulses the pendulum through the suspension spring. Yours has a conventional deadbeat. Yours also has the S&R whistle pendulum. The amount of temperature compensation can be optimized through the adjustment of the “whistle” portion of the pendulum.

I have an S&R replica, with the Strasser escapement and whistle pendulum.

It looks like yours found a good home.

Ralph

PS.. I tried to make a deal with the widow for a Quare bracket clock with silver mounts. Came close.:(

Last edited:
Reactions: bochisholm and PatH

gmorse

NAWCC Member
Jan 7, 2011
Breamore, Hampshire, UK
Country
Region
Hi Bruce,

Just seen this. Now that is a regulator in the genuine sense!

Regards,

Graham

Jim DuBois

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Member
Jun 14, 2008
Magnolia, TX
Country
Region

We grow ever more accustomed to the sound of crickets. Bruce, you and RM, and a very few others post great photos, have good points to discuss, and ask good questions, all of which should invite interest and discussions. NADA! Or at least that is most often the response. And Bruce, I have not had a great deal to say on much of your recent acquisitions as they are not in my specific area of interest, but I greatly appreciate your sharing of them. And I encourage you to continue.

Some come here to learn or see less conventional clocks, or rare clocks, or good restoration efforts, or things not to do. But, those subjects seem to attract lesser views and discussions than Ridgeway $10 estate sale finds, or cuckoo/400-day anniversary/black mantel clocks, or the 999th discussion on how to bush a $3 flea market find....asked and answered, search is your friend, have you read any of the last 300 posts on that? The lowest common denominator seems to find new lows while the lesser common stuff all goes wanting and for the greater part, ignored.

And for the want of a horseshoe nail, the kingdom is lost?

bruce linde

NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
Here’s a link to Bernard’s thread.
https://mb.nawcc.org/threads/strasser-rohde.185755/
Ralph
seen that thread, thx... i try to research the heck out of things before posting. :)

bernard's clock has the top of the line strasser escapement, where there is no standard crutch and impulsing happens above the suspension spring... no direct connect to the pendulum. as such, he has pendulum #12.

the movement in mine is their best one that has a more standard escapement with crutch that 'drives' the pendulum ... mine has pendulum #13

76A19F77-283C-4D71-BE92-E78597037921.jpeg

bruce linde

NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
p.s.: mine came from scottsdale and chet hicks also has one of the reproductions with the strasser escapement.... i didn't know those existed until after i purchased mine, but am keeping an eye out for one. they rivaled the rieflers for accuracy.

Bruce Barnes

Mar 20, 2004
Hi Bruce, could the wood on your great clock be bleached oak?, I have seen furniture with the same color and grain, if so, the weight will be heavier if it is oak.
Regards,
Bruce (2)

bruce linde

NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
so of course i've continued to google around and found a reference to this book, where the 'last chapter' focuses on strasser & rohde. it weren't cheap, but i bought it.

md14208529117.jpg
Präzisionspendeluhren in Deutschland von 1730 bis 1940 Volume 3
Volume 3: 454 pages, 1094 illustrations (many in colour), 2013. This volume forms part 1 of the section on German precision pendulum clocks from 1840 to 1940. The book starts with the development of regulators in Germany prior to the 20th century, followed by sections on J. L. Nieberg of Hamburg; the rise of Glashütte and its German Watchmaking School; and the firm of Strasser & Rohde. The section on S & R and its clocks is very comprehensive ...

in fact, the last 225-ish pages go into intense detail about the company and their clocks... including a list of known clocks with serial numbers and descriptions. please forgive the google translation of the listing for mine:

681 1918 Seconds pendulum watch type B 1 with Graham escapement, going for 8 days. All of the pivots run in screwed-on composition linings, the escapement wheel and anchor in stones whose settings are screwed in; the anchor claws are also provided with stones. The weight is driven laterally via a pulley. Compensation pendulum type 13. Oak case.

god bless the internet. :)

PatH

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Dec 5, 2014
Texas
Country
Region
What a find! Was the book available in English, or do you read German? Do you know if the NAWCC library has a copy of this book?

bruce linde

NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
german only. don't read or speak, hence translate.google.com. don't know about the nawcc library.

Reactions: PatH

new2clocks

NAWCC Member
Apr 25, 2005
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
Bruce,

Derek Roberts wrote a book (3 volumes) in English on precision regulators.

Volume III has information on Strasser and Rohde:

VOLUME III.

This will include the research carried out and regulators made in
France, Germany and America also recent advances in accurate timekeeping
virtually up to the present day.

When considering France the work of such makers as Ferdinand and Louis
Berthoud, the Lepautes, Robert Robin, Janvier, Lepine, LeRoy and Leroy,
Bourdier and Jarossay will be discussed, as well as a more general
coverage of French longcase, table and wall regulators.

So far as Germany is concerned the primary emphasis will be on Riefler
and Strasser and Rohde but the work of other makers will also be
considered.

NEW book by Derek Robert on Precision Clocks | NAWCC Forums

Perhaps the NAWCC library, if it has a copy, can send a PDF on S&R portion.

Regards.

bruce linde

NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
i have the derek roberts book and have added a .pdf of the chapter on strasser & rohde to the info on my clock website... but thx for thinking of me.

p.s.: i want just about every clock in the book! :)

zedric

NAWCC Member
Aug 8, 2012
Country
Region
Well, it looks like you now know that your case is bleached oak, as Bruce 2 suggested...

It's great to see some quality items on the boards . As with most things here the more esoteric the item, the less people feel they can contribute. I am certainly learning from the discussion though, even if I doubt I'll ever feel the need to buy a precision regulator...

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member
Nov 26, 2009
Country
A bit of a foot note.

My postings on a Brewster and Ingraham shelf clock and another rather extensive one about mirror clocks, focusing on a recently acquired Joseph Ives, were featured postings.

They were just removed. Now there are postings about a Ridgeway (!) and a, IMCO, a routine morbier, a type of clock the subject of numerous postings.

May just be a routine rotation, though other I believe older postings remain featured.

If not, I can speculate on the why and who.

RM

Ralph

NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2002
Country
Here are 2 more books to look for. I’m sure the NAWCC library has them available.

Ralph

13A4E2CC-9672-43D9-B858-9736E043FC8C.jpeg 5E02AADB-BDAF-492E-B59B-141AFE972FC7.jpeg

I have a pdf of an English translation of the Erbrich book…….. somewhere.

The Ermert book(s) are very expensive and difficult to find. I considered them, but decided it’s time to slow down on acquiring expensive books. Besides I have access to Mark Franks copies if needed;)

Ralph

Last edited:

bruce linde

NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
A bit of a foot note.
My postings on a Brewster and Ingraham shelf clock and another rather extensive one about mirror clocks, focusing on a recently acquired Joseph Ives, were featured postings.
They were just removed. Now there are postings about a Ridgeway (!) and a, IMCO, a routine morbier, a type of clock the subject of numerous postings.
May just be a routine rotation, though other I believe older postings remain featured.
If not, I can speculate on the why and who.
RM
as i remember, the featured posts thing is a xenforo plugin and not monitored. i no longer have access to suss this out but am pretty sure no one on the moderation team would intentionally/deliberately favor a ridgeway post over an RM post.

there are folks i follow, whose posts i always look forward to and learn from.... but it appears the message board is destined to remain frozen in amber somewhere between "incredible resource library and some consistently quality posters" and the ridgeway/thrift store/newbies... this is what happens when there is no marketing or engagement leadership from management and it falls on volunteers to keep things running by enforcing outdated and/or rigid rules. seen it many times before. 8-(

still, while that and aforementioned organizational inertia have dampened my enthusiasm and participation somewhat, i will continue to post the better clocks i am now fortunate enough to be able to acquire, for those in the know, who appreciate such.

if i can reel in the two other ones i've been working on, you'll be seeing two more stellar regulators. i've been reminded multiple times lately of the prime directive of clock collecting:

you don't have the clock until you have it.

i'll keep you posted. :)

Reactions: RAK

Betzel

NAWCC Member
Dec 1, 2010
Country
Region
Great find and, echoing all the other crickets, thanks for posting. How many original bleached oak cases do you see? Not many. And the movement, pendulum rod and compensation are amazingly well done, as you would expect from anyone working that city with it's long-established traditions. Very clean (and to me rather enduring, esp. for 1916) design overall. Love the flatheads on the dial. How do you think the dial was done? Sintered / polished silver?

bruce linde

NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
I don't know how to tell whether it's sintered or silvered, Not the least of which because this is the first time I've heard of sintered. :) what should i look for?

Betzel

NAWCC Member
Dec 1, 2010
Country
Region
this is the first time I've heard of sintered
I may be mistaken, but many of the glashütte pocketwatches had beautiful dials made by heating the base metal of the dial while sprinkling powdered silver on while everything is hot, maybe with other things involved. This melted silver on in a permanent bond, and left a flaky misty look. But this one is rather smooth. Perhaps the surface could also be burnished or turned, but I do not know. No idea how the dark numerals and other features were done either, but they all fit in with the (blued?) hands very very well. Just admiring the dial as that's what presents to most people with clocks, in addition to the fine wood case. Those cool screwhead slots may be plated or somehow rather delicate?

Jim DuBois

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Member
Jun 14, 2008
Magnolia, TX
Country
Region
I have always wanted to build one of these regulators. But, after observing the work of several posters here on the clock construction site, I have given it a bit more thought. Maybe not. While I have built quite a few movements my skills need some reevaluation and a bit of improvement (bit?) This is a Strasser type I believe done by one of our fellow members IIRC.

suspension spring.jpg

Reactions: WIngraham

demoman3955

Apr 9, 2022
Country

but only one response.

hmm…
I look at almost everything, Except for watches because i have none of interest, and only comment if i can inject humor or actually have a suggestion or knowlage to offer.

bruce linde

NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
The suspension set up that jim just posted is for the top of the line Strasser and rohde, where there is no direct connection between the crutch and the pendulum and impulse happens on top of the suspension spring assembl . I had to replace the suspension leaves on mine, and even though it’s a slightly less complex suspension springs set up, it was still a bear.… One of those ‘by the time I’m done with this I’ll have it down’ jobs. :)

Reactions: Jim DuBois

Betzel

NAWCC Member
Dec 1, 2010
Country
Region
I had to replace the suspension leaves
Bruce, just replacing the spring in the "ordinary" version is pretty good work. Does anyone have an online reference to better understand how the impulse in their "top of the line" work is transferred to just the spring?
my skills need some reevaluation and a bit of improvement
That's pretty amazing work. Who among us would take on something like this without thinking the same thing?

bruce linde

NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
there's a little tray at the top of the suspension spring with a dimple in it... the crutch comes over and down into the dimple, proving impulse to the top part of the suspension spring that's moving left/right opposite the direction the pendulum is swinging.

this thread has more info: https://mb.nawcc.org/threads/building-a-strasser-regulator-clock.98369/

land here is an illustration..l this is not the setup i have...

4F2D4617-E20B-4352-A34C-B0961F6399F5.jpeg

Reactions: Betzel

DeanT

Mar 22, 2009
Australia
Country
Region

Hmm...crickets...LOL

Bruce, I know absolutely nothing about your clock so I can't really add much apart from the observation that the quality of the movement is extremely high. Will come up treat with when you restore it although it seems in very good condition already.

Nice one.

novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
Dorset
Country
Region
This is very serious regulator territory, well done.

I may have missed it but how is it wound?

bruce linde

NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
This is very serious regulator territory, well done. I may have missed it but how is it wound?
winding arbor can be seen in the middle of the base of the hour hand... uses a small vienna-regulator-like key [cool!]

Reactions: novicetimekeeper

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cherrybark
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-