• The online Bulletins and Mart and Highlights are currently unavailable due to a failure of a network piece of equipment. We are working to replace it and have the Online publications available as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience.

Strange New Haven Train Station Clock

Calculagraph

NAWCC Member
Jan 20, 2020
New Jersey
Country
Good morning,
I own the New Haven clock pictured in the attached photos. I have records that show the clock was in the Sandy Hook CT Train Station until the station closed around 1940.
There is a strange feature of this clock. The basic movement is an 8 day, time only movement. As you can see in the pictures, there is a large wheel with 24 pins in it mounted to the hour hand arbor. The pins can be pushed or pulled in or out. I assume these were for some kind of alarm mechanism (maybe the next train?). There is an addition to the case above the movement. If the mechanism is activated, it will push the pin at the 12 o'clock position to the "pulled position". I am guessing the "pulled" position is the neutral position.
Unfortunately there is a portion of the secondary mechanism missing. Whatever is actuated by the pins when they are pushed in is missing. There are two holes in the case below the movement that i assume was where the "alarm" mechanism was mounted. There is also a post that protrudes through the front of the case above the two holes in the backboard. The clock is in excellent condition and there are no other holes in the case.
Any help identifying this clock and what is missing would be a great help.
Thanks,

20210922_090956.jpg 20210922_091355.jpg 20210923_090304.jpg

Walt Wallgren

NAWCC Member
Aug 16, 2012
Bay Area, California
Country
Region
Hi Cal,

I have no idea but a few more pictures might help. Put the wheel with the pins back in place and take a couple with the dial off. Do the pins contact the arm on the post above the movement? Does any part of that arm protrude through the top of the case. If so, get some pictures of the top. Get some shots of where you think the alarm was mounted. Anything else that might shed some light on what the extra wheel might do. You can never have too many pictures.

Walt

Calculagraph

NAWCC Member
Jan 20, 2020
New Jersey
Country
Walt,
The pins don't contact anything when the clock is assembled and running (the missing part is what would be actuated and do whatever it does.. The mechanism at the top is intended to be manually operated from outside the clock. When it is moved it raises the brass paddle and returns a pin to the out position.
I am not sure these pictures will help but worth a try.
1-the clock
2-the wheel installed the hour hand is riveted to this wheel
3-the clock label
4-the wheel out of the clock, 24 pins all easily pushed in and out
5-the top mechanism (2 parts) actuation will push a pin into the out position
6-the top of the clock, second part of the top mechanism - to be manually actuated
7-the wheel mounted to the hour hand, pins slide in and out easily (minimal resistance but the will stay in the position they are placed when the clock is hung
8-you can see where something was mounted in the bottom left of this picture. 2 screw holes and a circle where the missing part should go.

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg 8.jpg

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country
This is a curious clock. The case seems to be the New Haven Drop Octagon No. 2, shown in Tran Duy Ly's book on New Haven clocks from the 1880 catalogue. It could have been offered some years either side of that year.

The movement has an escape wheel bridge of a style used prior to ca. 1870, when New Haven adopted the style like the one on the movement shown below.

Winnipeg Movement.jpg

There seems to have been a bit of additions to make the movement what it was meant to be.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Helplessfanatic12
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-