Strange large English clock movement

spxer

Jun 20, 2016
Country
I did it again. I bought an unknown (to me) clock movement online. The pictures were fuzzy, but I knew I had never seen anything like it before. So curiosity got my cat. It is big and of English style. With one hand on a tiny dial that tells only the minutes. Weight driven and a deadbeat escapement with maintaining power. Very good stuff that. I was puzzled at first, but I think I have figured out what it is.
DSCF0005.JPG More pictures to come. I will see if anyone comes to the same conclusion as I.

spxer

Jun 20, 2016
Country
The wheel count is minute wheel 64, next wheel 8-60, escape wheel 8-30. According to the beat calculator that is a seconds beat. DSCF0004.JPG

novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
Dorset
Country
Region
The dial is 0-60 with a very wide hand the resolution does not seem like it needs the additional accuracy of deadbeat and maintaining power.

spxer

Jun 20, 2016
Country
The dial is 0-60 with a very wide hand the resolution does not seem like it needs the additional accuracy of deadbeat and maintaining power.
You are on the right track about the dial not making sense with the movement.

spxer

Jun 20, 2016
Country
Yes. Look at these pictures again. Notice the shaft connected to the "motion work" going through both frame plates.
DSCF0008.JPG DSCF0007.JPG

spxer

Jun 20, 2016
Country
Well, my guess is that the shaft extending to the back of the movement is to drive the motion work of a remote dial. Then the small dial could be used to set the time.

Uhralt
That is exactly what I think it is. A public clock of some sort mounted in a wall. The small dial side is on the inside of the wall for the clock-keeper to correct the time and attend the movement. The jackshaft turning counterclockwise from the movement side turns clockwise from the opposing side.

jmclaugh

Jun 1, 2006
Devon
Country
Region
That is exactly what I think it is. A public clock of some sort mounted in a wall. The small dial side is on the inside of the wall for the clock-keeper to correct the time and attend the movement. The jackshaft turning counterclockwise from the movement side turns clockwise from the opposing side.
One type of clock that works like that is what is referred to in the UK as a gallery clock which is set high up in a structure so not practical to do anything through the dial. Another is a turret clock in churches and public buildings, both afaik however have a twelve hour dial to adjust the time, I've not come across a movement in such places as this one.

spxer

Jun 20, 2016
Country
Some info about the condition of the movement. It looks like it has run for 100 years nonstop without any service! The pivots are severely worn, as are the holes. The pinions show wear as well as rust pits. A bit of a shame for such a special clock. At any rate, it has been entertaining for me and I tried to make it intriguing for the members.

Uhralt

NAWCC Member
Sep 4, 2008
Country
Region
Interesting movement! It's a pity that you don't have the dial with the motion works.

Thanks for sharing!

Uhralt

spxer

Jun 20, 2016
Country
It would be interesting to know what building it came from. Maybe a bombed out building in London in WW2 that someone rescued from the ruble.

spxer

Jun 20, 2016
Country
I inquired with the previous owner what he knew of the movements history. Here is his response.

"I'm 75 years old. I bought my first jewelry store (1970-78) in Italy. The previous owner was the victim of a robbery and sold it to me with contents. This clock was among the contents. When I returned to USA in 1980 I shipped it back. I think it was working but perhaps not, but it has sat on a shelf for the last 40 years because it was cute. Now I have too many projects so I am getting rid of stuff before I drop dead and someone else has the job. That's about it. I hope you can fix it. Good luck"

From England (presumably) to Italy to California and now to Kentucky.
"What a long strange trip its been."

Jessk09

Feb 27, 2020
Country
I haven’t seen anything like it. Looks like a regulator movement .also the picture is a Victorian gothic long case clock

image.jpg

Our 2021 National Meeting in Hampton Roads Virginia
Topic related ad experiment
Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HenryZ
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
How to wire a 24 volt secondary for a 12 volt ITR/IBM Master clock system by Toughtool