Strange Information Request

Discussion in 'Clock Construction' started by Ed Schmitt, Sep 21, 2013.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Ed Schmitt

Ed Schmitt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 30, 2003
    Male
    CRNA retired
    Towanda, PA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hello - I have a strange request for information on building a large clock. I have a store owner who wants to build a large clock to put on the side of his store. He wants to make the hands himself. The problem is that he wanted hands up to 10 feet long. I told him that he would have to reduce the size by at least 50%. He is looking for a way to power such a movement. I told him that it would be easier to put a street clock in front of his store. So I'm just checking to see what those on the message board would have to say about such an endeavor. I'll pass on any information you supply. Thanks

Ed Schmitt
    NAWCC 150012
    Shadows of Times Past

2. Jeff Salmon

Jeff Salmon Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Empire clock used to have access to large electric motors and gear sets for public clocks. I don't know where they got them. They are shown in a catalog I have.

3. doug sinclair

doug sinclair Registered User

Aug 27, 2000
    Calgary, Alberta
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    A rule of thumb for tower clocks and street clocks that is preferred by some, is one foot of dial diameter for every 10 feet of elevation of the clock dial. That would mean 100 feet of elevation, if you observe this proportion.

4. Tinker Dwight

Tinker Dwight Registered User

Oct 11, 2010
    Calif. USA
    If there was room, it could still be done.
    You could have a counter balance behind the dial
    to relieve some of the load ( might over balance
    some to account for rainy days ).
    Use a heave geared motor to drive it with a cam
    that would open every minute. A couple contactors
    and one of the clock pulse circuits and you have a
    clock. ( needs additional gears for the hour hand. )
    Just my thoughts.
    Tinker Dwight

5. Ed Schmitt

Ed Schmitt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 30, 2003
    Male
    CRNA retired
    Towanda, PA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks for the responses. The individual who wants to build the clock has a 30' X 30' wall he want to have the clock built against. I will be talking with him later this week, and relay all the information everyone has given me. I'm still trying to get him to put a street clock in front of his store. Keep your suggestions coming.

Ed