Strange German church clock F.K.SCHNEIDER

Discussion in 'Tower, Monumental & Street Clocks' started by pidragos, Oct 27, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. pidragos

pidragos Registered User
    Donor

Nov 27, 2012
    Male
    Mechanical Engineer; aviation parts manufacturing
    Sibiu, Romania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Dear tower clockers
    I got these pictures from a friend traveling. it is located within a catholic church in a small Romanian village, west side of the country. Probably it is a German at origins, but never seen something like that. not even the name on it.
    Any ideas or details about this mechanism?
    there is the following inscription on it:
    F.K.SCHNEIDER UHRMACHER 1885 FREUDENTHAL

Attached Files:

2. pidragos

pidragos Registered User
    Donor

Nov 27, 2012
    Male
    Sibiu, Romania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Unfortunately I see nobody has any info about this unusual clock for my region, here never seen such mechanism.
    I asked for more pictures, so I can share them, maybe somebody can help me identifying it.
    The inscription on it could not find anywhere, not even on the famous German webpage search engine MIKROLISK.
    IMG_8899.jpg IMG_8906.jpg IMG_8907.jpg IMG_8909.jpg IMG_8913.jpg IMG_8919.jpg IMG_8920.jpg IMG_8921.jpg IMG_8924.jpg IMG_9102.jpg

Could be this a verge/ foliot escapement?

3. Burkhard Rasch

Burkhard Rasch Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 1, 2007
    Male
    General-and trauma surgeon
    Twistringen
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #3 Burkhard Rasch, Oct 31, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2017
    I´d exclude a verge and foliot escapement since it was long abandoned when this clock was produced. In fact I don't see an escapement at all,nor a time train; only trains I can see is the quarter and full hour tain.Could it be someone removed the time train section?Where is the pendulum supposed to be attached?
    Remember that there were several Freudenthals in Austria and even in the German speaking south eastern parts of the former Austro-Hungarian Empire.Maybe look there?
    Best regards
    Burkhard

4. David B Pendley

David B Pendley Registered User
    NAWCC Business

Aug 25, 2000
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Isn't the time train on the bottom between the other two? I don't see the escapement either but did see the pendulum in one of the photos. It is different.

5. Tinker Dwight

Tinker Dwight Registered User

Oct 11, 2010
    Calif. USA
    I think this is just the chime part and drums. The clock would
    have been above it.
    Tinker Dwight

6. pidragos

pidragos Registered User
    Donor

Nov 27, 2012
    Male
    Sibiu, Romania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I am afraid something was disassembled and never put back. At least this is the latest info got yesterday from the pictures owner. It could be that the time train is located below, pendulum exists as shown in one picture. The opposite side of the pendulum disc looks strange. Try to get pics on that...

7. Chick Curry

Chick Curry Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 31, 2001
    Male
    school administrator
    Camden, Delaware
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have studied the pictures, pretty interesting, I have worked on some tower clocks thru the years. The time train is in the center, the lower great wheel,(cable drum) has a bevel gear on the end that engages a bevel gear on a vertical shaft. This looks to go up to the next level and drives the crown wheel that drives the 4 shafts to the dials. Unless the crown wheel has a decent ratio to the hand shafts it looks like you might have to wind this clock almost every day, the bevel gears look almost 1 to 1. This is when you wish you could ask the picture taker to shine his light in from the side in picture #6 you can see the end of the 2nd wheel engaged with the center drum. It's not very distinct but there may be the back side of a pin wheel type escapement visible in the center just between the two large gears. I looks, to me, as if there is enough there to possibly get the old thing working again....Lots of cleaning and such, maybe build a light plywood house around the works to keep it cleaner, but have room for service. Would the original picture taker ever want to go shoot a few more? All of this is only my observation, no offense to anyone intended.

8. Burkhard Rasch

NAWCC Member

Jun 1, 2007
    Male
    Twistringen
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    please show a picture of the whole pendulum,I think a part of the escapement could be attached to it like in a Vortmann escapement.
    Burkhard

9. Tinker Dwight

Oct 11, 2010
    Calif. USA
    I see three winding arbors and three sets of fly vanes.
    Unless it had a gravity escapement, I don't see what the
    extra vanes are for??
    Dwight

10. Ralph

Ralph Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jan 22, 2002
    Country Flag:
    #10 Ralph, Jan 9, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
    This is a Schneider turret clock I briefly owned. They are modular and could/were coupled to striking movements.
    I have a friend that has one similar to the one I had. If I can find pictures of his, I will post them too. Some, maybe all, of his clocks had remontoires. They use a fly to dampen the latching up of the mechanism.

IMG_1400.jpeg IMG_1957.jpeg

Here is a picture of my friend's clock.

20160923_112632.jpg

..and here is a link to a more typical arrangement.

https://uhrforum.de/turmuhr-benedikt-schneider-soehne-aus-schonach-t2

Oops... just noticed this is an F K Schneider, not Benedikt Schneider.... and I believe the subject clock is actually F. X. Schneider

Never mind.

Ralph

Ralph

11. Ralph

Ralph Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jan 22, 2002
    Country Flag:
    I queried Mark Frank about this thread and his response is as follows.

"Both clocks are from the Schneider firm. The large tower clock uses a form of escapement called a "Freischwinger" (Free swinger) pendulum. It is a mechanism that gives the pendulum a push once per minute (sometime 30 seconds sometimes as with Seybold every second). The rest of the time the pendulum swings without interference except to advance a small count wheel which is what triggers the 'push' from the main mechanism at the appropriate time - it is a type of remontoire. I have two such free swingers in my collection. I almost bought a huge Schneider like the one pictured about 15 years ago. The free swinger was invented by Joseph Mannhardt and he made the best ones. I'd still like to get my hands on one of those. Schwalbach's first model used such a free swinger (DS has it) and he patented his design here in the US. In actuality he ripped that design off from Mannhardt but the US patent office at that time did not bother or did not have the ability to cross check the design with the German patent office."

His paper on tower clocks , page 22 has a description of the escapement.

http://www.my-time-machines.net/papers_and_presentations.htm

Mark has just had an article published in the latest NAWCC Bulletin. It is a progress update on his incredible clock that is in advanced stages being completed.

Those who haven't as of yet explored his website, should take some time and visit it for the complete story on his clock and other wonderful clocks/things in his collection.

http://www.my-time-machines.net/

Ralph

12. Burkhard Rasch

NAWCC Member

Jun 1, 2007
    Male
    Twistringen
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Ralf,this is what I thought,a Freischwinger.Vortmann in Recklinghausen built similar arangement, the third pic of Pidagros shows the pendulum partly,and You can see a kind of ratchet wheel attached at the top of it.So we need a pic of the pendulum.
    Burkhatrd

13. Burkhard Rasch

NAWCC Member

Jun 1, 2007
    Male
    Twistringen
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Kaliber PUW 1002

14. Tinker Dwight

Oct 11, 2010
    Calif. USA
    That would explain the extra fly.
    Thanks
    Tinker Dwight

15. pidragos

pidragos Registered User
    Donor

Nov 27, 2012
    Male
    Sibiu, Romania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Unfortunately I do not have more pictures. I was asking my contact int that village to send me more about the pendulum, but he left the village during the winter time for his town residence. Therefore I wait him come back
    Thank you all for info and involvement.