• The Bulletins and Marts are again available online. The network connectivity problem has been fixed. Thank you all very much for your patience.

straightening balance pivot in pivot polisher

FredWJensen

Feb 1, 2007
I have a balance pivot that looks ever so slightly out of straight.
I want to attempt to straighten it, and contemplate using a pivot polisher. Any suggestions.

Hands

Nov 8, 2005
Hi Fred, The best, and most dependable way to repair this, is to replace the balance staff.
Regards, John

Timebuilder

Oct 19, 2003
Visit site
Fred. Seitzs makes a tool used for this purpose and there are also tweezer like tools used to do this, however, it always seems that any attempt to straighten a pivot will fail.

To me it always seems better to simply replace the balance staff. Doing this will save time in the long run plus you get pivots that are factory fresh and not damaged.

Smudgy

May 20, 2003
Country
Region
You can straighten the pivot with smooth jaw pliers that have the front edge rounded to match the curve of the pivot, or do the same with some tweezers. If the pivot isn't badly bent it usually won't break (not being the straight variety). It will need polished afterwards, to remove possible flat marks left from the tool. I think Fried covers this in one of his books, but I can't recall which, it may be in "Bench Practices for Watch and Clock Makers". I have a pair of modified fly-tying pliers for the few times I need to do this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smartin
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-