Straightening a lyre pendulum

Jim_Miller

NAWCC Member
Mar 6, 2001
Jackson, Michigan
Country
Region
I recently serviced a grandfather clock. I received a call from the customer stating that the clock had stopped. Went back out and determined that the chime side weight was interfering with the pendulum. For some reason the pendulum did not hang straight, what is the best way to straighten this? During this follow up visit, I found out that the previous repairman dropped it a couple of times. I HATE to be the second guy. No pictures available at this time. Any help is appreciated
Thanks,
Jim

NEW65

Nov 17, 2010
United Kingdom
Country
Region
Hi Jim.
Yes I can see exactly why it stopped - I’ve had this happen myself many times over the years!
The upper section of the lye pendulum needs to be rotated such that when the pendulum is viewed from above (looking downwards) the whole assembly is in line.
Attaching the pendulum back in place after doing this would of course lead to the disc tilting at a angle.
I easily overcome this issue with two pairs pliers by holding the pendulum rod a few inches below the hook and then slightly higher up , twist the rod slightly . This will correct the issue and result in the pendulum hanging straight. I do this every time with great results.
Thanks

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
I usually just hold the top and twist the bob. Works most of the time.

Jim_Miller

NAWCC Member
Mar 6, 2001
Jackson, Michigan
Country
Region
Thanks Shutterbug, that’s what I’ve done. I haven’t heard anything ( I probably just jinxed myself) from the customer.
Jim

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thang
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller