Storing my collection of Clock Hands

David D'Apice

NAWCC Member
Mar 22, 2012
Country
Forgive me if I'm redundant. I'm wondering if anyone out there has a rig, jig, or cool way of storing the hundreds of pairs of old hands that I have accumulated over a lifetime. Some way that I can see them to "browse" for the ones I need when I need them. Any great ideas would be welcome. Perhaps this belongs in tips and tricks -- although I have neither -- other than a tangled mess of a box -- or two or three! Thanks in advance. Dave

bruce linde

ADMIN / MODERATOR
NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
got computer/database skills?

you could:

1. number the pairs, one by one
2. take a photo before putting a pair in an envelope
3. add the photo to the database, along with key words... if it were me i would create multiple fields that could accommodate key words: manufacturer, fits, color, size, etc. i would also have a quick description field.

the benefit of doing this is that you could then search as needed.

just thinking out loud but i wonder if the media gallery function on the MB might be workable for you... i'll mention @Tom McIntyre and maybe he'll comment....

David D'Apice

NAWCC Member
Mar 22, 2012
Country
Wow -- I'm in the design business, and I never even thought of a digital solution. That's brilliant. I love the idea of a relational database!

bruce linde

ADMIN / MODERATOR
NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
i've worked for myself forever but did have one 'legit' job at sun microsystems, where i was an engineering services manager. what's that you ask? essentially a librarian, responsible for all hardware and software releases. i was taught to do just what i suggested: simply number the next item in but provide enough identifiers (from version numbers to keywords) to always be alway to find/track/manage assets in the library.

keep us posted.

tom427cid

NAWCC Member
Mar 23, 2009
Moultonborough,NH
Country
Region
Hi,
A strategy that I use is to pair up the hands and a 1/4 wide piece of masking tape will keep them together. Either plastic parts drawers or plastic parts boxes are suitable for storage. I prefer the boxes because I can make storage racks and without opening the box I can tell at a glance what's inside. For smaller hands I still have to paw through a jumbled mess! for the larger hands this has worked well for me.
Hope this might help.
tom

bangster

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Jan 1, 2005
utah
Country
Region
For database, Filemaker is (relatively) easy and flexible. I've used it a lot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cicastol
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Weekly News 7/7/19 by Tom McIntyre