• We are aware of the performance issues with the forum. These are due to problems with Comcast's shared lines in the Columbia, PA area. On December 15, we signed a contract to bring a dedicated fiber line to the forum servers. It should take somewhere between 30 and 90 days to install. Thank you for your patience.

Storage of clock tonight?

Hweck1

New User
Jan 14, 2022
Country
I am have just taken down my antique school wall clock. There are a lot of kids in my house tonight, and I don't want it to get damaged. I took the pendulum out and gently placed it upright in a safe place. Did I move it correctly? Also, it is still ticking but obviously not chiiming with no pendulum. Is it ok that it is still ticking and that I didn't put the pendulum back? Thanks for your help

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
Welcome to the board.

Did I move it correctly?
Sounds as if you did.

Also, it is still ticking but obviously not chiiming with no pendulum. Is it ok that it is still ticking and that I didn't put the pendulum back?
Removing the pendulum will not stop the clock striking if it is still ticking. To stop the ticking just place a small wedge of paper tissue under the crutch (the shaft that is moving backwards and forwards). That will stop the ticking and also the strike. It is not a good idea to let a clock run continuously without the pendulum.

JTD

wow

NAWCC Member
Jun 24, 2008
Pineville, La. (central La.)
Country
Region
It should be fine but it should still strike. When the pendulum is off, it runs much faster so plan on striking fairly often.

Reactions: Hweck1

novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
Dorset
Country
Region
I just lie them on their backs with the pendulum off and a roll of soft paper like kitchen towel wedged under the crutch like JTD said. If you leave it upright it might fall over.

Reactions: Hweck1

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waynetx
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller