Stopworks - How???

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by chezwilly, Oct 10, 2014.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. It's Coming
    Just Two More Days
  1. chezwilly

chezwilly Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 26, 2002
    How do you adjust Hermle stopworks? Thank you.
    Willy

2. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    One of the wheels has 18 teeth, and the other 17. You'll notice that one tooth is longer than the others, and on the other wheel one valley is shallow. The stopworks are designed so that when the long tooth encounters the shallow valley, everything locks up. That is true whether the clock is being wound or is unwinding. Some like to set the stops so the lock occurs when the weights reach the end of the cable at the bottom. For me, I like them set so they prevent ramming the weights into the seat board. Just pull out the wheel on the winding square, turn the other one so the two main elements will line up at the stopping point you've chosen. Put the first one back and turn the arbor until they intersect. Put the retainer back in place and you're done :)

3. D Crone

D Crone Registered User

Jul 14, 2014
    Clermont, FL
    Country Flag:
    And....if you do it wrong it will stop the train dead at some point in the next 8 days when you least expect it.

4. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    It's good to test the stop works with the clock in its case. Put on a 2 pound weight. Hold the click in the released position, with a stiff wire or wooden skewer. With the other hand, crank the weight all the way up and all the way down several times. This little test will also demonstrate exactly how this mechanism works.

Willie X

Randal5793 likes this.
  5. Randal5793

Randal5793 Registered User

Feb 11, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Just wanted to say even though this is 5 years old it was the answer I was looking for, it really made my life easier, thanks.