Stolen Waltham Pocket Watch

Discussion in 'Lost or Stolen Horological Items' started by Appolo, Jan 10, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Appolo

Appolo New Member

Jan 10, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    A Waltham pocket watch was stolen from my family home in Massachusetts in the early 1970's.
    The watch was my grandfathers and I believe it was given to him on his 25th birthday and was then passed
    down to my father. It was inscribed with his name : Arthur Moorehouse and with a reference to his 25th birthday. I would be willing to pay a significant reward if it were to be returned. I also realize that the watch
    may no longer exist as many were melted down for gold content.
    Thank You for any help you can provide.

2. DanOC

DanOC Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 19, 2010
    Traffic signal tech
    NJ
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The movement may still be out there, but you would need to know the serial # on the movement. Your correct about the case being scrapped for quick cash. Humanity has a lot to answer for.....

3. Appolo

Appolo New Member

Jan 10, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Hello DanOC,
    Thank You for taking the time to respond. I don't have the serial number on the movement. The only hope
    is that it wasn't melted down. Do you see manny of these pocket watches for sale? If so, Where?
    Thanks so much for your help

4. richiec

richiec Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Male
    automotive warranty inspector
    Brick, Ocean, NJ
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Start on Ebay but chances are, 45 years later, your search will be for nothing as, without the serial number, you will never be able to identify the watch conclusively. It may have been recased and sold multiple times over the years or parted out. I wish you luck.

5. Appolo

Appolo New Member

Jan 10, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Hello richiec,
    Thanks for the reply and info. I'll give ebay a try.