Stockburger ships clock

jacob

Mar 17, 2007
Kelowna BC, Canada
Country
Region
I just bought one, and am trying to find some info on the company. Without much success. Any one knows more about it than that they were in St Georgen in the Black Forest. Thanks, Jacob

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
It would be very helpful if you would post a photo of your clock. There were at least three Stockburgers working at various times and since we have no idea about your clock, it is hard to say which one was the maker.

If the movement has the word Stockburger in heavy type on it, then it was likely Siegmund Stockburger & Co. This firm was founded in St. Georgen in 1928. In 1947 it was compulsorily closed by the French military occupying forces, probably because Stockburger had turned to armament production during the war. The company did not re-open. Stockburger made movements of various types which were sold to the trade for casing.

JTD

jacob

Mar 17, 2007
Kelowna BC, Canada
Country
Region
After removing the movement, I noticed that it is a Hermle 1979 132-071with a 4 jewel platform escapement. Inside the clock is an ink date stamp 22Marz 1978. The dial is 3 1/2 inch diameter. The 6 inch dia clock is mounted in a22 inch spoked oak wheel.
Anyone knows anything about this Stockburger? Thanks Jacob
308254.jpg

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
Thank you for posting the photo. This clock is not the made by the Siegmund Stockburger in St. Georgen that I mentioned. As you have discovered, this is a modern clock with a Hermle movement.

There are a whole series of modern clock, barometers and hygrometers marked Stockburger which you can see if you google the name. It is not at all clear to whom the name belongs. I think it may not be a manufacturer's name, rather a trade name for a series of clocks etc. made to order for alrge distributor. All the instruments I have seen are marked 'Made in Germany' so it may well be a German company making these items (and maybe buying the parts from other makers, such as Hermle) for a large wholesaler who markets them under the Stockburger brand.

This my supposition - others may have better knowledge.

JTD

Burkhard Rasch

NAWCC Member
Jun 1, 2007
Twistringen
Country
Region
the holes in the dial fit to the respective ships-bell-strike movement by Hermle.
Burkhard

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
Yes, it has a Hermle movement, as the OP already stated (message #3).

JTD

jacob

Mar 17, 2007
Kelowna BC, Canada
Country
Region
Thank you for the info JTD, The clock is in pretty nice condition, should be a pleasure to work on it
Jacob