Stiff strike wind

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by POWERSTROKE, Dec 26, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. POWERSTROKE

POWERSTROKE Registered User

Jan 11, 2011
    I have a cuckoo that has a stiffer than what we would call normal strike side wind. It runs beautifully about +5 seconds a day with no problem. It’s been like this for years but figured I’d ask. What would cause the chain on that side to be a stiffer or harder feel when winding it? It’s been like this new from the factory but works fine otherwise.

2. R. Croswell

R. Croswell Registered User

Apr 4, 2006
    Male
    Trappe, Md.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Sounds like the chain wheel assembly was assembled on the tight side. Been that way since new - find something more important to worry about.

RC

3. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    Bent ratchet fingers, from the weight being pulled down. Usually this is child related, or the clock has been dropped. I often can repair these fingers but the wheel has to be removed. So, usually if you have to go as far as removing the wheel, it's better to replace it with a new one. Willie X

4. POWERSTROKE

Jan 11, 2011
    It’s never been dropped or touched by a child or pulled from the weight side.

5. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    So it's prerty new?

Improper winding habits can also bend the fingers. Like not releasing the weight gently at the end of the winding stroke, or making many choppy little strokes when winding. Every time the weight stops, one of these little springs / pawls get hammered to some degree.

WIllie X

6. POWERSTROKE

Jan 11, 2011
    #6 POWERSTROKE, Dec 26, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2019
    I appreciate your thoughts. I’ve had cuckoos for 30 years. Thanks wind one with 1 or two maximum pulls. It goes up but it’s a tighter pull. Best left alone for now I guess. It’s never been mistreated.