Mechanical WW Stem repair

RJSoftware

Apr 15, 2005
Loxahatchee, Florida
Country
Region
Hello all;

Wondering if anybody has repaired a broken stem.

On a Gruen automatic I pulled the crown out a little too hard to set the time and the stem busted right at the point where it screws into the crown.

I was thinking about maybe getting replacement stem or new thread section of the stem. Maybe a joint or cut the whole thing out and tap in a new one.

Opinions?
RJ

Cary Hurt

NAWCC Member
Dec 16, 2005
Country
Region
RJ,

Stems break fairly frequently, particularly if they are rusted, bent or the crown is over tightened. Replacement stems are easy to find and inexpensive. If you can find the caliber number of your movement, it should be a breeze to acquire the proper stem.

Regards,

Cary

FredWJensen

Feb 1, 2007
One of the basic skills of a watchmaker is to make a replacement stem. No one ever talks about repairing them. Think of it. If you wanted to re attach the thread from the shaft, how would you do it? Weld, solder, glue, before it would work you would have to get it perfectly aligned otherwise the crown would wobble and not function properly. Even if you align it perfectly would the repair withstand the large torques and stresses that the stem endures:???: Most likely not and would snap off the first time you subject it those forces.
Watchmaking has been around 400 years and during that time everything has been tried and we can learn from the lessons of those that worked and repaired these wonderful little machines.
Try to find a replacement part, that is the easiest. List the watch type and serial number hear and I am sure that someone will have the part, if they don;t I will make a replacement stem for you for nothing, just postage.
Make sure you hold on to the stem and all its pieces. If someone has to make a replacement it is a lot simpler to make one from a sample rather than with the sample.

RJSoftware

Apr 15, 2005
Loxahatchee, Florida
Country
Region
Ok. Thanks very much.

Inside the back of case cover is 710SS-225A

On the movement is 710 RSS
Gruen watch Co Precision

Seventeen Jewels
swiss unadjusted

RJ

RJSoftware

Apr 15, 2005
Loxahatchee, Florida
Country
Region
My email is rjsoftware2000
AT
Yahoo
DOT
com

Crossing my fingers!
RJ

RJSoftware

Apr 15, 2005
Loxahatchee, Florida
Country
Region
Any luck, anyone?
RJ

schweige

NAWCC Member
Jan 14, 2005
I agree replacing the stem is the best bet.

If you are desperate however, and for some reason don't want to take Fred up on his kind offer, Jules Borel sells something called stem extenders. I have never used them but they appear to be female threaded on one end and a male thread on the other. If you have enough threads on the remaining broken stem, you screw the female part onto it, then you thread the crown onto the male end after cutting to the correct length.

This would be a cheesy way to do the repair, especially with Freds' offer to make a new one for you.

Ed Schweiger

RJSoftware

Apr 15, 2005
Loxahatchee, Florida
Country
Region
Yep, I'm waiting for Fred to reply. But I am in no hurry.
RJ

RJSoftware

Apr 15, 2005
Loxahatchee, Florida
Country
Region
Thanks for trying LarFure. Much apreciated!
RJ

Kevin W.

NAWCC Member
Apr 11, 2002
Nepean, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
I broke a stem on my 12 sz tavannes pocket watch.have not found a replacement yet.It is a detent stem.It was one of my favourite carrying watches.

RJSoftware

Apr 15, 2005
Loxahatchee, Florida
Country
Region
Timebuilder, can you send me one?
If so email me at rjsoftware2000
at yahoo dot com
and let me know what you want for it.
Thanks
RJ

RJSoftware

Apr 15, 2005
Loxahatchee, Florida
Country
Region
hello?

Kevin W.

NAWCC Member
Apr 11, 2002
Nepean, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Hi Bryan, would the calibre number be on the movement?

RJSoftware

Apr 15, 2005
Loxahatchee, Florida
Country
Region
Hello Timebuilder;
I guess you don't want to sell one...?
RJ

1324wright

Jan 23, 2008
I replace the stem when broken or rusted. I can't cut threads, so I find a stem that has the proper thread and is the same or bigger and cut to size. Sometimes need to anneal and re-temper.

Timebuilder

Oct 19, 2003
Visit site
Look, I don't have time to park myself on this board all the time. I check it out about once every week to week and a half.

I won't sell you one but will GIVE you one. Need an address.

RJSoftware

Apr 15, 2005
Loxahatchee, Florida
Country
Region
Ok, thanks! I will pm you.

RJ

RJSoftware

Apr 15, 2005
Loxahatchee, Florida
Country
Region
Opps. Just found out I can't pm you. You might want to look into modifying your profile (I think) to allow private message to.

In the mean time, you can write to me to get my address.

My email is

rjsoftware2000
at
yahoo
dot
com

Thanks again!
RJ

RJSoftware

Apr 15, 2005
Loxahatchee, Florida
Country
Region
Bryan E;
I tried to pm you, could not.

Could you please check if you have the stem and crown as well.

Here are the stats again. Thanks RJ

Inside the back of case cover is 710SS-225A

On the movement is 710 RSS
Gruen watch Co Precision

Seventeen Jewels
swiss unadjusted

RJSoftware

Apr 15, 2005
Loxahatchee, Florida
Country
Region
Thanks Bryan E; I will be crossing my fingers!
RJ

RJSoftware

Apr 15, 2005
Loxahatchee, Florida
Country
Region
Thanks Bryan; I emailed you back.
RJ

RJSoftware

Apr 15, 2005
Loxahatchee, Florida
Country
Region
I want to thank you Cary for sending the stem and crowns.

I am glad that you sent two of them as it was a tricky buggar for me to cut perfectly to length. :cool: (my fist stem)

I started out choosing one of the larger crowns because it had nice size to control the winding.

But, then I notice one of the crown's fit perfectly with the tube and was bezelled /shaped perfectly forming to the case.

It must have been exactly same as the original. Think I lost the original. Somewhere in the dark obiss.

The toughest part was dealing with that dang retaining screw for locking the stem in place. Seems like after all the unscrewing/screwing in that little edge on the screw head got tougher to lock onto.

I used a sharpening stone to keep filing a tight fit to that little screw head and got it working. I also used the stone to grind the fresh cut flat so that it would screw into the crown (to get that little crooked part off the end of cut screw).

I tried really really hard to get the first cut on the first stem exact. I screwed the uncut stem in as deep as it would go to give me an idea of that distance, so I could measure the cut more accurate.

But, it wound up just a taint too short, as pushing the crown all the way in did not push lever into winding mode.

Next time I will cut a little long and grind/test to fit.

After fidgeting with it so much, the tube came off into the crown head, and I thought ahhhggggkkk.. I ruined the case. But this was not so. I grabbed the tube out of the crown and found that it was simply friction fit to put back into the case :clap:

I probably should not have done this, but I also shaved a touch off the length of the tube so that it would not go so snug into the crown. It's still quite snug, just felt like allot of extra resistance on push/pull of crown to slide all the way down onto tube. Probably would be more like water tight with tube that snug. (sometimes I goof up a little).

Thanks again!
RJ

Kevin W.

NAWCC Member
Apr 11, 2002
Nepean, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
RJ glad to hear you got it fixed.Learning is a lifelong thing. :thumb:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members