American PW Stem fell out

Vernon

NAWCC Member
Dec 9, 2006
Country
Region
Hi,
I've got an Elgin 23 jewel about the size of my pinky nail. It's my mother's watch so I thought that I would have a look even though I'm a clock person. When I took the face off, a small piece fell out that is in the shape of an (F) as shown. Is this the piece that holds the stem in? If so, where does it belong? I don't even own a screw driver small enough to work on this but I may need too............

Thanks for your help. ladies elgin 005 (800x600) (640x480).jpg

Last edited:

Skutt50

Mar 14, 2008
Gothenburg
Country
I am afraid you have found the Integrated Detent Spring which has been broken off from the Cover plate. This can not be repaired and has to be replaced with a new Cover Plate.

It does not hold the stem but interacts with the Set Lever which is the part holding the stem in place.

Have a look at this page and you will find all the parts involved in your small problem: http://www.timezonewatchschool.com/... Keyless Works/glossary - keyless works.shtml

For a replacement Cover Plate you could try the Parts Sources which you find on the top of the Watch Repair forum page.

Vernon

NAWCC Member
Dec 9, 2006
Country
Region
Skutt50,
Thank you for your reply. I agree with your assessment and your link was most helpful for a visual on terminology. I'll get started on my part search.

Thanks again.

Our 2021 National Meeting in Hampton Roads Virginia
Topic related ad experiment
Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pmendoza
Encyclopedia Pages