Stem AND key wind Waltham 57 but not Abbot's?

yellow_sub

NAWCC Member
Jan 1, 2019
NorCal
Country
Region
Hi guys, nice to meet you all! I've been browsing on here for years but now finally going to start contributing and sharing/asking about info. My first question is about one of my Waltham 57's. It's a relatively early one and came key wind/key set originally but at some point was changed to stem wind/lever set. It doesn't look like it was an Abbot's conversion nor is it marked as such. Does anyone know more about this, such as when it may have been done and by whom? And for anyone wondering, the watch works and runs for over 24hrs on a full wind but is about 25min slow per day. It's currently being serviced but here are a few pictures I have of it. Thanks everyone!

1863 stem wind.jpg s-l1600.jpg 58059.jpg 58059-2.jpg

Keith R...

NAWCC Member
Nov 27, 2012
South
Country
Region
Civil War Era stem wind. Interesting. It could have been sent back to the factory in the 1870's
to get done.

I have SN# 98514 1864 KWKS. Mine had a Tucker regulator added in late 1870's. In it's
Jas Boss gold filled case.

Keith R...

103_8346 (800x600).jpg 100_3694 (800x600).jpg

Reactions: Richard Hufnagel

Dave Coatsworth

Senior Administrator
Staff member
NAWCC Business
NAWCC Fellow
Sponsor
Feb 11, 2005
Camarillo, CA
www.daveswatchparts.com
Country
Region
Welcome yellow_sub!
That pillar plate is an early Hampden stemwind pillar plate with a couple of jewel locations modified. Interesting 'frankenwatch' that was probably done long ago.

Last edited:
Reactions: Keith R...

yellow_sub

NAWCC Member
Jan 1, 2019
NorCal
Country
Region
Keith - Thank you for that picture, that looks awesome. I can't recall seeing that regulator before.

Dave - I appreciate the information, I was hoping it was a job done at the factory but that clears that part up.

Reactions: Keith R...

Keith R...

NAWCC Member
Nov 27, 2012
South
Country
Region
yellow_sub, that regulator came out under a Tucker patent in 1876. It was the counter
response to Teske's regulator of 1875. The Tucker was available for watch brands, while
the Teske was offered to all. I have yet to see another Tucker on any watch. Plenty of
Teske's though. Hampden used them and I have one on a Rockford model 1 key wind,
added by a jeweler. I think Darrah has one also on a Rockford key wind.

Keith R...

103_9089 (800x600).jpg

Reactions: Dano4734

Nathan Moore

NAWCC Business
Dec 29, 2011
Country
That regulator came out under a Tucker patent in 1876. It was the counter
response to Teske's regulator of 1875.

The original patent for William B. Tucker’s regulator was issued August 27, 1867. The 1876 patent is simply a reissue of the 1867 patent, with the application filed April 25, 1872. Thus, both Tucker’s original patent and the application for reissue preceded Teske’s first patent application by more than a year.

However, the regulators Tucker eventually manufactured are not based on his patent, which specifies the mechanism being adjusted with a watch key. Rather, he leveraged the popularity of the Teske regulator and essentially replicated the regulator design already on the market.

Evidenced by advertisements from the period, Tucker and Teske independently offered adaptable regulators to fit a variety of American movements.

yellow_sub

NAWCC Member
Jan 1, 2019
NorCal
Country
Region
Thanks again for the info guys, you've got me wanting to find a watch with one of those regulators on it now!
As for the Waltham, it is currently being serviced/repaired and I should have it back around the end of the month. It looks like the cause of it running slowly was because the balance staff was worn and needed to be replaced. I'll take some updated pictures once i get it back.

yellow_sub

NAWCC Member
Jan 1, 2019
NorCal
Country
Region
Just wanted to update this thread now that I have the watch back. It's back running and keeping time extremely well but needed a good bit of work. He took several pictures for me during the servicing and I wanted to share them here. He worked on 3 57's for me, all needing repairs and one even needed a new cannon pinion, which he made from scratch. I couldn't be happier with the level of service and craftsmanship he provided. I definitely recommend him and will be sending a few more watches his way soon. Anyway, follow the link to check out the pictures he took. I'm always trying to learn more about these things, so any comments or questions are welcomed. Thanks everyone.
REPAIR & SERVICE: (2) Waltham 1857 | Antique and Vintage Watch Repair

Reactions: Rick Hufnagel

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DAC21
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-