Steel Movement

Gregory Douglas

Dec 26, 2020
Country
Who made clock movements out of steel instead of brass. I have a mantle clock that is just steel but has no maker identification?

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
Staff member
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country
Certainly various American makers used steel for the plates during the Spanish/American War and WWI. It might be useful to see the clock and movement.

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
Staff member
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country
It could be as Willie says. It's definitely not American, German, English or French - just to include as many as I can. The shape suggests an Ansonia movement, but we know that the Japanese and Koreans produced copies of that movement.

You say steel. Is it magnetic?

Tim Orr

National Membership Chair
Director
NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Sep 27, 2008
Boulder CO
Country
Region
Good evening, all!

I also find it interesting, though I don't know what to conclude from it, that all the pivots I can see protrude quite far through the plate and are ground to a rounded point. In a way, I could see how this might make it easier to assemble, but I don't recall seeing anything like this before.

Are most of those wheels steel – or zinc- or nickel-plated?

Best regards!

Tim Orr

Gregory Douglas

Dec 26, 2020
Country
It could be as Willie says. It's definitely not American, German, English or French - just to include as many as I can. The shape suggests an Ansonia movement, but we know that the Japanese and Koreans produced copies of that movement.

You say steel. Is it magnetic?
I'll have to find a magnet to test. Thanks for the history. I'm a newbie so any information is helpful. Thanks guys.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deeqdacad
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Rockford's early high grade movements by Greg Frauenhoff