Steel ball bearings in fractions of a mm

Discussion in 'Horological Tools' started by karlmansson, May 27, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. karlmansson

karlmansson Registered User

Apr 20, 2013
    Doctor
    Linköping, Sweden
    Country Flag:
    Hello!

With the lathe I'm currently refurbishing came a Gepy live center that had seen better days. It looked like the rear of the spindle had broken off and that the bearing race there had been chowdered up pretty badly.

What wasn't immediately obvious to me however was that someone had ground in a new bearing race, for ball bearings, into the rear of the spindle. It matches a race inside the body of the center. I estimated the radius of the race to 2mm and got a bunch of 2mm balls. They do the trick but there is still a bit more play in the spindle than I'm comfortable with. I realize that this center will never perform as new again but it is a nice, low profile tool.

I've been looking for some steel balls that are just slightly larger than the ones I have, 2,2mm or so. All I've found is brass/bronze balls in that size. Which leads me to ask two questions:

In which applications are brass or bronze bearing balls useful?
    And:
    Where can I find steel ball bearing balls in sizes ofa fraction of a millimeter? Without going bankrupt that is. This is mostly of of curiosity to see if I can get the tolerances somewhat tight on it.

All help appreciated!

Best regards
    Karl

2. karlmansson

karlmansson Registered User

Apr 20, 2013
    Doctor
    Linköping, Sweden
    Country Flag:
    Thank you! I forgot about Ali express!