Steampunk - A source for pocket watch, wrist watch and clock parts.

terofpa

Dec 20, 2006
Lavelle, Pa
Country
Region
While I am against the Steampunk practice of using horilogical items for making jewelry and crafts it has apparently been going on since the early 1980's and furthermore I'm not here to judge anybody!! With that being said, I got the idea to search "the auction site" for steampunk to see if I could find some pocket watch parts I have trouble finding and was shocked and somewhat saddened by the amount of good watch and clock parts that are for sale. (You won't see this stuff under the watch or clock parts listings.) I searched the ads for only about half an hour and found parts I often see others on this message board looking for and I found some parts that may work for me. CHEAP!

I'm not trying to sell parts to anyone or profit in any way and I certainly hope this fad dies. My single intent is to help other members find that part that's been driving them nuts. Please don't hate me.

ter

PS I'd like to know where the parts are coming from. If good movements are being stripped or are the parts coming from movements that were already stripped? I did ask one seller and am waiting for a reply.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steampunk

terofpa

Dec 20, 2006
Lavelle, Pa
Country
Region
This is the sellers reply to my question of where the parts come from.

"Hi!
Thanks for your interest....
I am not a watch person by any means, I take some of the not so great movements apart for the auctions you see listed...
I acquire some watch movements that are intact and list them as-is...
I gather from yardsales, auctions, etc...( and of course ebay! ) Thanks for the questions, have Enjoy the day! Maggie"

ter

Kevin W.

NAWCC Member
Apr 11, 2002
Nepean, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
I am sure this has gone on for years and wont stop any time soon.
I may check it out and see what is up for sale. I am saddened when i see clocks and watches parted out, just for the money.
And of course the high price of gold does not help either.:mysad:

terofpa

Dec 20, 2006
Lavelle, Pa
Country
Region
I don't know? I checked some past sales and and the parts didn't bring much money. I think the sellers would get a better return on the complete watch and have alot less work to do. Apparently they aren't checking the value of what they have before they take them apart.

ter

dweiss17

Old Timer
NAWCC Member
Aug 1, 2006
Philadelphia, PA
Country
Did you ever stop to think that most ladies watches today are battery driven? Women or men, for that matter, will take the easy way out and prefer to wear non-mechanical watches, if they wear a watch.

Your cell phone will always give you the time of day, so will your radio, computer, and most any modern contraption will do the same.

Below...from the "March of Time" discarded movements and complete watches, MANY WILL KEEP TIME. Any buyers? Or, do I send them to the West Coast to my friend who sells this junk to Steampunkers.

I have 25 to 50 times more than this in sizes from 0-6 to 18 size. What is the solution if you have no buyers except the Steampunkers?

2 photos below.

Attachments

Bratdaddy@mac.com

Dec 1, 2008
Mid-Atlantic
Country
Is it remotely possible that someone could have so many ladies/small size watches in their possession that it interferes with their quality of life? As a friend often says about his collection, they don't eat much. I don't find it quite so easy to make the leap to more modern, electronic watches that don't really bear the makers touch as our preferred treasures do. I keep a small collection of small size watches. The main reason is because they're attractive. Even then I try to find up-jeweled examples that show more detail than the vastly more common 7 jewel examples. I suppose the only compelling argument I can make in favor of these under-appreciated treasures is they were made in the U.S.A. and that they survive long after their foreign made replacements have taken residence in landfills. I suppose there are ample supplies for those in need of a fashion statement and the question for this forum might not me if Steam**** whatever is doing disservice to our hobby but are we doing all we should to preserve it. At this point I'm far from expecting any sense of obligation to this nation's historical achievements. That may in itself be the best reason to collect any object, to preserve its existence amongst the uncaring. Times are truly hard, but most of us could manage an occasional purchase of something that doesn't strictly follow our collecting patterns. Might that be enough to stimulate interest and drive prices to a point where this genre-or a segment of it-is protected? Only one way to find out and that's to put your money where your mouth ( or fingertips) is.

richiec

NAWCC Member
Feb 24, 2007
Brick, Ocean, NJ
Country
Region
I went through the steampunk art section on ebay and only found a few things that attracted me, most parts seemed to be generic or ladies watches that had been stripped of vital parts. There were some complete or nearly complete watches but for the most part they would require endless hours to repair or find the necessary parts to repair. The loose parts, unless they were recognizable to the naked eye, were lumped into piles and nearly impossible to tell what they may have fit. I do not agree with this artform, but,.I could see if the dials were chipped, worn out, or if the gears were missing teeth or had broken arbors, if the plates were totally worn out etc, then maybe. My wife did make a few Christmas ornaments from old, worn out dials(mostly no name Swiss metal dials) that would have required more money than they were worth to refurbish. Of course I did not sell them. I always look in the parts section on the bay to try to add to my limited collection of parts so we all have a use for a lot of these parts. I guess everyone has their own opinion, just look what it took to pass the budget on Capitol Hill.

ChuckJones

Aug 7, 2011
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Country
Region
As a friend often says about his collection, they don't eat much.
I totally need to write that down somewhere!

It is a shame when people part out something that might have actually had some historical significance or value to it but when it comes to not-so-rare newer mechanical movements that may be either worthless or just flat out broken beyond repair at least we know by selling the parts to steampunkers some part of the watch survives as opposed to the entire thing going to the garbage.

Steampunk is becoming quite a huge genre of modern fantastical art so parts that would otherwise had been junked may be preserved in one way or another as this new form of art. While some steampunkers are just messing around making junk others make some very beautiful pieces that will last for their artistic value for years to come, my favorite example has to be Datamancer's Steampunk Laptop which we can only imagine how much time went into making that.

All just my opinion that is and of course using rare or valuable movements would be criminal, we can only hope that these people do at least a bit of research before parting out watches and clocks.

tomogletree

Jul 30, 2011
Edison, NJ
Country
Region
That's amazing!