Steaks, mushrooms and little whole skinned potatoes

Discussion in 'Member News and Views' started by dweiss17, Nov 7, 2014.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. dweiss17

dweiss17 Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Retired from Graphic Arts
    Philadelphia, PA
    Country Flag:
    #1 dweiss17, Nov 7, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2017
    I imagine this is a [first] for this Forum.

Getting an advertisement from Omaha Steaks, {I think it was sent to previous customers who had not ordered their foodstuffs in some years] I placed an order featuring a coupon that was a real bargain. It should arrive around November 11
    [SUP]th[/SUP].

We used to do a lot of broiling in the oven and it has not been used in more years than I care to remember since my wife passed away. I did use it for some time after her passing, But now it has been years.

I want to know how to cook the steaks on the stove top, using an iron skillet [fry pan.] The lady that cleans the house suggested I start with sliced mushrooms and sauté them and put the meat in the skillet after the mushrooms are cooked. I like medium to rare steaks. I'm rather a little tired of the restaurant menus.

I know I can go to the internet and find all kind of directions on how to satisfy my desire to partake of these good Omaha products, soon to come.

Do we have any gourmet cooks among our NAWCC membership?

2. jakematic

jakematic Registered User

Sep 26, 2014
    NC USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #2 jakematic, Nov 7, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2017
    Hi Dan-

I used to be a gourmet cook, specializing in haute French cuisine and American classics.
    Right now I'm taking a few years off for health reasons - didn't need the extra stress.

Here's what I would do.

First thaw the meat in the refrigerator for a couple days to be sure it's not even remotely frozen [assuming they still ship in dry ice].
    All properly cooked good quality steaks should 'rest' and come up to temperature [about 60F] before cooking, especially if you like them on the rarer side like we do.
    If they don't warm up they will tend to curl or be overly cold in the center with overdone parts on the edge - the ugly gray ring when you cut into one.
    It's perfectly safe to leave whole portions of meat [steaks, roasts, etc] on the counter to warm up since the cooking will kill any bacteria on the surface.
    The same cannot be said for ground meats.

The steaks would be great with sautéed mushroom and onions.
    Since onions take longer to cook you'll want to start them first.
    Cook them in a mix of butter and oil, so the butter doesn't burn, over medium heat stirring often.
    Once they get translucent add a splash of Worcestershire sauce - this will caramelize and add wonderful flavor to the onions.
    Be careful with the amount as it can be high in sodium and reduces quickly concentrating the flavor.
    Once they are cooked almost to your liking, add the sliced mushrooms and cook them through.
    Add salt and pepper to taste, and dump them out onto a plate for later, turning off the heat.
    Sometimes I put them on a paper towel lined plate to reduce the fat, but they are a pain to get off.

If you don't like onions, just sauté the mushrooms in a little butter with a few drops of Worcestershire sauce and season to taste.

Next I'd do the potatoes in an oven pre-heated to 400F.
    In a large bowl drizzle the potatoes with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
    Add a few pinches of any mix of herbs you like and have on hand such as rosemary [my favorite], basil, thyme, oregano, or even steak seasoning.
    Toss well with a spoon and place on a rimmed cookie sheet.
    Roast for 45mins to 1 hour, turning half way through.

When the potatoes are nearly done, melt 1/2 butter and 1/2 oil in the pan over medium to medium low heat.
    Season the steaks that have been warming up and add them to the pan.
    Once they are cooked about 1/4 of the way, flip them over and add the reserved mushrooms.
    Continue cooking until the steak is almost done and the mushrooms are warmed through.
    They will add a nice flavor to the steak while cooking and the juices will get together in the pan.

Once the steaks are done close to your liking remove them to a plate and cover with tin foil.
    They will keep cooking on their own and you don't want what's called 'over shoot' by leaving them in a hot pan.
    They also need to rest again so the fibers relax and the juices don't all rush out when you cut into them.

Check the potatoes with a fork, they are done when they are 'fork tender' and it easily inserts and comes right back out.
    Take them out of the oven and use a spatula to plate them with a steak and the mushrooms.

I like to put a small pat of butter on top of the steaks to melt and run down over them - as is called 'gilding the lily' in the trade but it's completely optional.
    Put a scarce amount of pepper and salt on the steak to add to the flavor and enjoy.

The potatoes and mushrooms can easily be made ahead to make things simpler to prepare.
    Just let them cool un-covered completely, place in a container, and put in the fridge overnight.
    When you are ready to make dinner take them out with the steaks and warm the potatoes in a 350F degree oven for say 1/2 hour.

Let me know if you have any questions or would like any variations. -Jake

3. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I'd add one caution, Dan. When you're cooking, set a loud timer so if you happen to forget or get involved in something else it will alert you that there's still something cooking on the stove. My Mom was younger than you when she filled her house with thick smoke and nearly burned down her house when she forgot about something cooking on the stove. Also double check when you're done that everything is turned off ;)

4. dweiss17

dweiss17 Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Retired from Graphic Arts
    Philadelphia, PA
    Country Flag:
    #4 dweiss17, Nov 7, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2014
    jakematic:

Thank you for gourmet cooking expertise...I do not want to use the oven even though the pilot light has been burning for about 51-52 years. I want to buy a can of skinned small potatoes cook them till forkable. Can I slice them and add to the mushroom cooking to sort of hash brown them? I do like corn and green vegetables.

Dan

5. jakematic

jakematic Registered User

Sep 26, 2014
    NC USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Dan-

Canned potatoes would work great - I use them often.
    They shouldn't take long either since they are cooked most of the way when canned.

I'd slice them and add just like you described.
    You will want to drain them well first though or they will steam in the pan.

If you are using canned mushrooms they might be a little soft, so drain them and add after the potatoes are getting brown.
    The sliced ones you can get in the produce section would need to be cooked longer.

-Jake