Stauer Flyboy 1916 Watch

Discussion in 'Wrist Watches' started by rkenney, Jun 30, 2020 at 1:08 PM.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. rkenney

rkenney Registered User

Apr 2, 2016
    Country Flag:
    Hope I'm in the right place, chronometer category said to post wrist chronometers here. Some of you may remember my post about the Dew Drop wall clock that my Uncle Bob painted the steeple design pendulum. Well unfortunately he passed away recently. He left me a Stauer watch that I'm trying to figure out. It is a chronometer and except for the face color is identical to the Midnight Eclipse Flyboy 1916 Watch on a Stauer websight. I have no instructions so was wondering if any one here could fill me in on how to operate or point me to a site that has downloadable instructions. As always thanks in advance.

2. Hawk53

Hawk53 Registered User

Dec 19, 2013
    retired
    native Californian
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Any chance of you posting pics of it?

3. rkenney

rkenney Registered User

Apr 2, 2016
    Country Flag:
    I was working on that. I have way too many pictures in my phone. Here it is:
    20200630_134401.jpg

viclip likes this.
  4. gmorse

gmorse Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 7, 2011
    Male
    Retired from Xerox
    Breamore, Hampshire, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi rkenney,

I think you may be confusing chronometer and chronograph; it certainly looks like the latter but I doubt if it could be classed as the former, whichever definition is associated with that name.

Regards,

Graham

Hawk53 likes this.
  5. Hawk53

Hawk53 Registered User

Dec 19, 2013
    retired
    native Californian
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    You beat me to the punch Graham....

6. gmorse

gmorse Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 7, 2011
    Male
    Retired from Xerox
    Breamore, Hampshire, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Hawk53,

Well, it's a common enough source of confusion!

Regards,

Graham

Hawk53 likes this.
  7. rkenney

rkenney Registered User

Apr 2, 2016
    Country Flag:
    Well some definitions for the uneducated (me) would help. I see now that chronograph (as stated on the Stauer website) is more appropriate, but still have no idea how to operate it.

8. captainscarlet

captainscarlet Registered User

Oct 15, 2013
    British Army RTD
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi rkenney, if you type in ‘Stauer chronograph operating instructions’ into your search bar the top hit looks to be the instructions from Stauer for your watch.
    Good luck.

9. gmorse

gmorse Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 7, 2011
    Male
    Retired from Xerox
    Breamore, Hampshire, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi rkenney,

Sorry, jargon is a constant hazard!

A chronograph is a watch which has a separate mechanism for starting, stopping and resetting to zero a separate seconds hand and usually minute and sometimes hour recording dials. All this is done without interfering with the normal timekeeping function of the watch.

The term chronometer has more than one meaning; it used to mean exclusively a movement with a specific type of escapement, a detent, (marine chronometers for instance), but it's now applied, in the case of Swiss products anyway, to any watch which has achieved COSC certification. These are usually lever escapements of good quality, for instance Rolex watches probably hold more of these certificates than any other maker's.

Regards,

Graham

10. rkenney

rkenney Registered User

Apr 2, 2016
    Country Flag:
    Thanks, I now understand why Rolex watches are so expensive. I did download some basic chronograph instructions for this watch and know the upper button starts and stops the timer function and the lower button resets it. The reset button sweeps the second hand to the 7 o'clock position where it remains stationary till start is pressed). Shouldn't it sweep to the 12 o'clock position? Unfortunately I do not yet know what the logarithmic scales are for. I assume some type of navigation which may answer the reset position question.

11. gmorse

gmorse Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 7, 2011
    Male
    Retired from Xerox
    Breamore, Hampshire, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi rkenney,

Yes, it should. The hand just needs to be removed and positioned correctly. However, chronograph hands should be quite tightly attached to their arbors, and care is needed in removing them.

Regards,

Graham

12. captainscarlet

captainscarlet Registered User

Oct 15, 2013
    British Army RTD
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I would suggest you refer to my previous post reference the setting up of your watch before you start to re position hands manually. I imagine the bezel carries markings or function of a circular slide rule. As this watch is built to a budget the slide rule may not be as accurate as it could be.

13. gmorse

gmorse Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 7, 2011
    Male
    Retired from Xerox
    Breamore, Hampshire, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi captainscarlet,

Yes, when in doubt, it is best to read the manual fully! I was mistakenly assuming that this is a mechanical chrono.

Regards,

Graham

14. rkenney

rkenney Registered User

Apr 2, 2016
    Country Flag:
    I did a search as you suggested and came up with a brief one page set of instructions. There was an interesting note on the page that I don;t truly understand, perhaps someone here could explain it.

"IMPORTANT Do not push the crown to the normal position while the chronograph second hand returns to the zero position. It stops on the way when the crown is returned to the normal position and its position is recognized as the zero position."

15. gmorse

gmorse Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 7, 2011
    Male
    Retired from Xerox
    Breamore, Hampshire, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi rkenney,

In that instruction leaflet, on the right hand side under 'Chronograph Reset', it tells you to pull the crown out to position 2 and then press the start/stop button until the hand is at the zero position, and in para 3 only then to return the crown to position 0. If you return the crown to 0 before the hand is where you want it, it will take wherever it is as its zero position. I agree it could be more clearly written.

Regards,

Graham

16. rkenney

rkenney Registered User

Apr 2, 2016
    Country Flag:
    Thanks that worked perfectly! I'll have to have my reading comprehension checked. After you pointing it out, I went back and looked again, I should of been able to figure that! LOL