Statue Clock or Figurine Clock? Either way I found another and another.

Discussion in 'Your Newest Clock Acquisition' started by gleber, Feb 11, 2019 at 8:17 PM.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. gleber

gleber Registered User

Jun 15, 2015
    Downingtown, Pennsylvania USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #1 gleber, Feb 11, 2019 at 8:17 PM
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2019 at 8:33 PM
    It's nice to be back online again...

This style is becoming my favorite, so I was happy to find two from different sellers nearby on Craigslist this weekend. The first is this French time-only silk thread movement. As you can see in the photos, it is a hunter with his sidekick dog, but it looks like his prize got away. The name in the gold medal medallion is Vincenti & Cie, 1855. The movement is also stamped E.V. HAUGHWOUT, which I presume is the retailer. If anyone knows more about the case or movement, I would appreciated it. Also, if anyone has photos of the game he would have been holding, or knows what it was, I would appreciate knowing. I suspect a bird, but maybe a rabbit?

20190210_190836.jpg 20190211_174807.jpg 20190211_174818.jpg

The second is an Ansonia with a seated woman writing. It has a round movement. My estimate (guess) is that it dates from about 1920s. She must have writer's block, because the page is blank even after all these years. The curious tidbit on this one is that there is a small hole in the top back of her head. I wonder if there was some sort of headpiece that is missing? I've seen other photos of this one online, but none of them have anything on her head.

primary.jpg

Rounding out the growing collection are my existing Ansonia Mozart and Seth Thomas / Nicholas Muller Lady and Child 143.

primary.jpg primary.jpg

Finally, back to the question in the title are these called statue or figurine or some other name?

Thanks,
    Tom

2. jmclaugh

jmclaugh Registered User

Jun 1, 2006
    Devon
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I call them figural clocks but I don't know if there is any accepted term for them. The Vincenti stamp is quite a common one to see, as is the pendule de Paris movement, it's a silver medal. Haughwout E. V. & Co. are listed in New York ca 1850.

3. gleber

gleber Registered User

Jun 15, 2015
    Downingtown, Pennsylvania USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Ha, so now we have three names. Google image search for each one provides some unofficial insight. Figurine results with more cartoonish styles. Statue clock includes more swingers and taller/slimmer styles. Figural clock give results that seem most similar to the styles I have.

Yes, Argent = Silver.

Tom

4. jacks61fd

jacks61fd Registered User

Jul 2, 2002
    Male
    Retired Police officer
    Ocala Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The hole in the top of the head was to let steam out during the casting process. It was usually filled with so soft material prior to plating the statue. If you look at most statues you will find this hole somewhere, on the cupids on mirror side shelf clocks it is usually on top of the head or right in the butt.